is XL2 mic Pro ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 30th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

is XL2 mic Pro ?

hi

I m about to buy XL2 in a few weeks. is the mic on it is pro ? and worth to buy a medium-high windjammer for it ? or does it suffer motor vs. noise generally ?

because I ll also buy a shutgun and windjammer for it.

thanks
alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #2
Major Player

The mic does a pretty good job. It's stereo and has the standard foam windscreen which protects in light breezes. If you are using in a consistently windy environment, you'd need fur of some sort covering the mic.

I have heard a little lens zoom motor noise when recording in very quiet environments. I don't think that is a factor of the mic as much as the camera mount. Lightwave makes a special mount isolator that is reported to eliminate the motor noise.
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have my XL2 for about a year now and normally I work with a soundman. but recently I went on a trip with my XL2 and I shot some images with my friends. This was the first time I worked without a soundman, so I used the mic on the XL2. And I was verry surprised. Much better than mics on the DVCAM camera's!!

Tim
Tim Commeijne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:31 AM   #4
Major Player

As Patrick and Tim says the quality of the XL2 mic is not bad at all. But, it's not a pro mic in the sense that it has a rather big internal impedance, and thus, to compensate that the cord of the mic is made very short. (I suspect the XL2 mic is so called "balanced" by choosing the cord length to make the mic+cord impedance to match with the input impedance of XL2.) Basically, this implies, you are not able to take the mic away from the camcorder.

However, if you decide to add an extra cable between the mic and XL2 what happens is that the mic+extension cord combination will together filter out higher frequencies. The longer the cable, the lower frequencies will be damped. Second, with an extension cable the mic may turn out to be less sensitive with XL2. Another issue is that the sound system of ordinary TVs is so poor that you hardly hear the higher frequencies.

The pro mics with low internal impedances are expensive. Sennheiser mics are good examples of such pro mics. Still, the sound quality of less expensive mics with higher impedance can be very good, for higher internal impedance does not yet imply poor sound.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 06:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks a lot patrick, tim and lauri for your inputs.so I ll buy a windjammer for on camera mic.

alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders