what is the best tape? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 31st, 2006, 04:42 AM   #1
New Boot

what is the best tape?

Hi have read lots on the best tapes to use for my XL2 but is one better than the other?
What is the best?
thanks
John
John Court is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Personally I use TDK brand tapes, they've always worked great for me, not too expensive, not too cheap.

Best advice I've been given though is to pick a brand and stick to it, to save the heads on the camera.

As far as I know (and I may be wrong), it doesn't really matter which brand you pick as long as you stick to it afterwards.
Andrew Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:01 PM   #3
New Boot

I think a lot of people on here use the premium Panasonic tapes. As far as brands go, don't use Sony if you're not using a Sony camera... at least from what I've read.
Geoff Voorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #4
New Boot

Definitely agree with you on the Sony tapes. I've had numerous problems with Sonys filming for years on the Xl1s. (I was at a school that usually had Sony tapes) But, when I got my XL2, I immediately went with the Panny tapes and haven't had one problem. Plus, if you get them at the right place, don't know if I can say on here, you can get some good ones in a bulk of like 100 for around $3.29. Can't beat that.
Camren Cheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Major Player

See I totally disagree with you guys, I've shot Sony tape on all my Canon cams, my 2 GL2's and my XL2 have never seen anything other than Sony tape. I don't use the basic Sony stock however, I use the Sony DVM60EXL which is not a cheap tape http://www.tapestockonline.com/sonyminidv.html has the EXML version with the chip which I don't purchase at about 12 bucks, I get the non chip version for about 7 to 8 at my broadcast supply house.

I also use the Sony tape head cleaner, so it goes to show, a lot of urban legend about tape and tape oils etc. What I would not do however is use the cheapest stuff that I can get at Walgreens at 3am, in that case I'd rather miss the action.

ML
Old February 5th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #6
New Boot

I would hope spending twice as much on a better Sony tape would do the trick. Some of the nicer ones work well. BUt those basic ones you find at Best Buy just don't cut it. You could go with the Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ and save 4 bucks on each tape.
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #7
New Boot

best tape

Thank You For The Words, I Have Been Using Sony's May Try The Better Ones And Some Premium Panasonic Tapes.
Thank You
John
John Court is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I use the Panasonic tapes and get them at Zotz Digital, one of the sponsors of DVInfo. The PQ tapes are $3.70 each and MQ tapes are only $4.50 each. Good people to work with, to boot.
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #9
New Boot

I go to B&H (I wasn't sure in my earlier post if B&H was a sponsor, should have almost assumed they would have been) and when you get them in bulk, you can get great prices. I'm about to buy 100 for 3.29 each.

I'll have to check out Zotz Digital.
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wills
Personally I use TDK brand tapes, they've always worked great for me, not too expensive, not too cheap.

Best advice I've been given though is to pick a brand and stick to it, to save the heads on the camera.

As far as I know (and I may be wrong), it doesn't really matter which brand you pick as long as you stick to it afterwards.
TDK in the XL-1 and XL-2 cameras. An occasional Maxell tape when shooting for someone else but have never had problems with either brand. Like Andrew says...not too expensive...not too cheap.

I've been using Sony in the Pana 953 from day one and had a head clean message after two tapes. Read about how common it was for new cameras to do this and haven't had an issue since.

-gb-

p.s. Using Sony vs. TDK also helps me look at the tapes on the shelf and know which camera shot them.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #11
Major Player

Hey John

The Sony tapes are fine. The general concensus is stick with one type of tape. Experimentation with tape stock should be avoided. Panasonic uses a dry lube, sony uses a wet one. When you mix tapes you get lube mud on your heads and have to clean them. Good Luck, Jason.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders