Mercury Vapor Lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Mercury Vapor Lighting

Good Morning:

As we all know shooting in situations where the area is lit with Mercury Vapor lighting can be a challenge to say the least. I'm wondering is anyone has a preset that could save me some time and effort?

Here's the deal, I will be shooting some footage of a hockey game (not my sport) in our local arena. The ceiling height is roughly 20 feet and the lights are suspended a few feet below that.

I will use a UV filter which will correct a lot of the problem but I would like to do as much of the correction in the camera as I can rather than in post. A pre designed preset would be great.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #2
New Boot

I've shot a lot of hockey for TV sports. We always found that it was
best to take a white balance off the ice surface, and we'd use a dichroic filter
on the sunguns for interviews and standups.
Al Girard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Al:

The shoot and project are now complete. By all accounts the end users are very pleased with the end result. As you mentioned I used the ice surface(slightly blue) for the white balance than added a few tweeks here and there in the custom settings and bingo excelent quality with no further tweeks required in post.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders