DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Gain issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/59813-gain-issue.html)

Ian Scanlan February 3rd, 2006 05:34 PM

Gain issue

I read in some previous posts about the subject of how much gain should be used in a general shoot. The verdict was either -3 or 0 gain. Another poster advocated NEVER changing from this setting. I film live performances where the lighting situation is variable to say the least. However, the lighting is always on the darker rather than lighter side. Having a gain setting at -3 or 0 in this low light setting is, from my past experience, complete videography suicide. I appreciate the fact that, given adequate lighting, this gain setting may prove to be the best. However, from past experience, filming terrible lighting, live band performances, I have had to up the gain to 12 to achieve any reasonable footage. Ok, some purists may consider this level to be completely over the top but I'd rather have some footage that people can actually see rather than just blackness. I know I must be doing something wrong ( I'm a newbie). Are there any other Live performance videographers who film in terrible lighting situations that could enlighten me? Any help greatly appreciated.

Andrew Khalil February 3rd, 2006 06:12 PM

I shoot live performances on a regular basis as well and I usually leave the camera on +6. At this setting, it gives me more brightness and isn't very noisy.
An important thing to remember is that underexposing the image will create more noise than a properly exposed one, so raising the gain to get proper exposure is better than using lower gain and being underexposed.
I know people say not to use gain above 0 (I've heard it) but in reality, if there isn't enough light and you have no control over it, what can you do? The XL2 performs very well in low light and using gain is perfectly acceptable.

Ian Scanlan February 3rd, 2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Khalil
I shoot live performances on a regular basis as well and I usually leave the camera on +6. At this setting, it gives me more brightness and isn't very noisy.
An important thing to remember is that underexposing the image will create more noise than a properly exposed one, so raising the gain to get proper exposure is better than using lower gain and being underexposed.
I know people say not to use gain above 0 (I've heard it) but in reality, if there isn't enough light and you have no control over it, what can you do? The XL2 performs very well in low light and using gain is perfectly acceptable.

Thanks Andy, You have reassured me that sometimes you've got to throw the textbook out of the window and just rely on what you are actually seeing with your own eyes!