telephoto zoom lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #16
Major Player

I love the shot of the moon, just wondering if you can remember the gain and shutter speed settings. I assume you had the lens wide open with the 2x extender on

Thanks

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #17
Trustee

Bob, that actual shoot was at gain=0, aparture=15 and shutter=1/50
I am in PAL-country so I'm not shure if you can compare the shutter speed to NTSC?

- Per Johan
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Ahem, I feel so silly. Awesome footage never the less.

... 1/50, I am thinking will have a 1/60 NTSC equivalent under such circumstances?
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Per Johan,

Thanks for the quick reply, I am in PAL land so same settings as you. Do you mind posting your general camera settings?

Regarding the 300mm lens in daylight filming, do you put neutral density filters on the lens or do you adjust the shutter instead? I have a 300mm Canon FD lens and have a 85N3 filter inside the lens (there is a filter slot provided) but I am wondering if it is better to go without the filter and corect with just the shutter speed and white balance. My lens appears to be sharpest between f5.6 and f8 so I generally leave the aperature set there.

Thanks for any advise

Bob
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #20
Trustee

Bob, I have not adjusted camera settings too much from default, but I experimented some for outdoor winter daylight settings. I found that changing some of the settings gives me a better look, those settings are:

Gamma=cine
Knee=low
Black=stretch
Color matrix=cine
all other settings are default

I do white balance against the snow (try to find a mix of direct sunlight and shadow or in overcast weather just find a spot and whitebalance)

For this moon-shoot I used the whitebalance setting from the day before.

The Sigma 300mm f2.8 lense also support a filter slot (46mm) in the back og the lense. But for this particularly shoot I didn't use any filter, just adjusting the aparture for a nice look. I try to keep the shutter at 1/50th
I will experiment some to find the sharpest area of my lense, switching between different ND-filters and aparture settings, I might be posting my results here at the forum.

- Per Johan
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks Per Johan for posting those setting. I will give them a try
Old February 25th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff McElroy

I researched all the telephoto zoom lenses, and noticed something funny.
Why is the EF 300mm f/4L USM lens is being sold so cheaply, as compared to all the rest?
Is there something wrong with it?
I had used this lens w/o ef 1.4x converter with eos body for my wildlife work for 3 years.it is the forgotten discontinued lens. at 300 and 420 with 1.4x absolutely better than ef 100-400 L lens at 300 and 400. but if you add ef 2x quality drops some level that you can notice but it is still decent at 600 f/8, you need bright sun however.

now I have 100-400 lens. and this monday I will have my new XL2,following weeks I ll make comparison test with 100-400, 300 f/4 and many other lens...I am a semi pro wildlife photographer for 9 years so I know nearly all optical behaviors of tele-lens on the market, but now I ll try with XL2..

as conclusion buy this 300 f/4 non IS lens, it is optically equal to many brands of 300mm f/2.8 on the market including canon 300 f/2.8 L IS, at its 300 and 420 w1.4x. if there is very slight difference you can not notice it with mere 960x576 picture of XL2..

alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Aight, thank you much!

I still have not made a purchase yet (I had to forward the money to other, more immediate applications)... so be sure to post your results when you get your new camera.

Jeff
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #24
Regular Crew

you may also think canon 70-200 f/4 L lens. optically it is equal to 70-200 f/2.8 IS and 100 to 200, better than 100-400, but don't forget that 100-400 is still pro lens. it is non IS but you don't think to use this combination handheld do you ?

it is below 600$ and 700 gr (1.5lb).its tripod collar is same as 300 f/4 L (non IS) and 400 f/5.6,

I will test it this week too.. I also think this lens to attach XL2 directly, as its 20x lens. I mean that; because it is light wight, I ll try; attach XL2 to tripod and attach lens to camera, I want to see if it is stable enough at extreme magnifications such as 1500mm efective. if it will be you may not buy its tripod collar that sold separetely and cost 120 $

about my test results, I m not sure I can post them (especially the pics and videos) this week because I ll start lond video project for 1 month this week, but I ll write what I get..

regards,
alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders