telephoto zoom lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 6th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

telephoto zoom lens

Okay, I will keep this trite:

I need a good telephoto zoom lens for my Xl2.

I am currently doing a project on pelicans and various marine birdlife.
My 20x lens is just not cutting it.

I don’t care about weight or size, and image stabilization is really preferred*.
I don’t want to spend more than $1000.

Does anyone have any recommendations, and/or experience, field reports, etc?
What are my options…
and at what price?

*do I really need an IS function? Does it work with video cameras effectively?
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff McElroy
Okay, I will keep this trite:

I need a good telephoto zoom lens for my Xl2.

I am currently doing a project on pelicans and various marine birdlife.
My 20x lens is just not cutting it.
Jeff,

If you think that you don't need IS, try zooming your 20X out to full, turn of OIS and try to hold it still. If you use a tripod and it is very stable, then you could get by without it.

Canon has a 1.6X adapter that retains your OIS, zoom etc...and pushes the stock lens out to 32X.

Beyond that, there is the Canon EF adapter, which allows you to use Canon lenses, or other after market adapters and then add a 35mm lens. I think the EF adapter maintains some camera functions, but I don't have one so can't say for sure. I know you will not have IS, and probably no autofocus either. The Optex adapter that I have maintains no camera function, but it works with my Nikon lenses.

Either one of these or other 35mm adapters adds a magnification function of approx 7.2 to what the 35mm equivalent is of the lens. A 100mm lens would equal about a 720mm lens on the XL2. Very neat indeed for getting real close, but your tripod better be rock stable and focus is a bit of a challenge. I have a cheap 1600mm I stick on my XL2 and you can count the flies on an apple from about a quarter of a mile away.

Hope this helps. There are many threads here that will give you more information, and also check Chris Hurd’s Watch Dog articles about the lens options on the XL line of cameras.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php

Mike
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Trustee

Get the EOS adapter and the Canon 70-300mm USM OIS Lens. That will hit right under your budget and give great performance.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Get the EOS adapter and the Canon 70-300mm USM OIS Lens. That will hit right under your budget and give great performance.

ash =o)
Ash,

That would be a great combo! What auto functions are maintained on this setup, if any. I can't find any definitive answers anywhere about the EF adapter inself as far as that is concerned. Very curious.

Thanks---Mike
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't think any auto functions are maintained using the EF adapter.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Jeff, as Mike mentions you can find everything you need to know regarding the EF adapter and telephoto lenses throughout this forum by doing a search. In summary, with the EF adapter - No auto functions except aperture - if you flip the lever on the EF adapter you will have auto aperture.
Ash's recommendaton is as good as your going to get for the price. Don't forget, the more distance you use, the better the quality of your video head and tripod.
Bill Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #7
Trustee

Yes, all manual once you go EOS, the IS is built into the lens though. And yes, you will need a very nice tripod as well. At full length it will be hard to get sharp focus without an external monitor as well. I have used this set-up for some sports stuff and it looked really good.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.
I just got back from school and read your responses.

Ash’s combination looks great. I have no problem going all manual, and for my purposes, the Xl2's EF capability is looking really sweet.

I researched all the telephoto zoom lenses, and noticed something funny.
Why is the EF 300mm f/4L USM lens is being sold so cheaply, as compared to all the rest?
Is there something wrong with it?
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Bill,
You mentioned flipping a "lever" on the EF adapter to get auto aperture.
What lever is that? My EF adapter is several years old and has no such thing. Are you saying that new ones support auto aperture?

Steve Siegel
Miami
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Telephoto Zoom Lens

I have an EOS / XL adaptor which is about a year old and I can auto expose
with it.
The lever on the side is a lock but their is a button in the centre of this lever
which when pressed auto sets the exposure.

How about this for a stupid idea,

An XL to XL adaptor which will fit between the standard 16x or 20x lens and
the camera and give a 7.2x magnification above the stock lens with all auto
functions still working.
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I think you can stack a bunch of 1.6x extenders to achieve such results, but that is not recommended.

FYI… Two American bald eagles are nesting in a wooded area down the street from me... and, although absolutely beautiful, they don't like me very much (hence my EOS glass needs). I will post some images when I am done with my project.

Also, even though I am on a tripod (bogen 503... should be enough, right?) and it won’t matter, I am kind of happy that my camera won’t weigh so much now, and the white/black combo looks cool.
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:18 AM   #12
Trustee

Telephoto lens Sigma 300mm f2.8 + Sigma 2x extender

Did a shoot couple of weeks ago with my XL-2 rig (Miller Arrow HD head/tripod, Ronsrail + Ronssight, Sigma 300mm f2.8 + 2.0x extender), for a picture of the rig click here:

http://www.video-film.no/galleri.html (Sorry, but the text is only in norwegian).

You find a sample video here:
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/maane.avi (Note: you need a DivX codec to play - http://www.divxmovies.com/software/)

On a 35 mm SLR-system this is equivalent to 4680 mm! It's just wonderful to use such a huge telephoto in wildelife filming even though it's very heavy, it weights almost 35 pound ! But to use that kind of telephoto you really need a rock steady tripod (the tripod itself weights appr. 20 pound).

- Per Johan

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; February 13th, 2006 at 10:53 AM.
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I just watched your lunar video... magnificent! Were you actually panning at that focal length? WOW!

I am not patient enough to tackle a narrative story without getting frustrated, so I am becoming very interesting in doing things like visual tone poems and such. Images like these excite me…

The more I learn about this camera, the more I am falling in love it.
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #14
Major Player

Just a hunch, but that appears to be a natural motion path with the camera locked down.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #15
Trustee

Jeff, the camera was locked down and the footage speeded up in post

- Per Johan
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders