DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XL2 in the shop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/60240-canon-xl2-shop.html)

Dorian Azure February 9th, 2006 01:02 AM

Canon XL2 in the shop

Last week I took my XL2 to Canon's service center in Irvine, CA. The camera had been having video drop out and a strange clicking from the lens while fully zoomed. Since my warranty was going to expire next month, I thought I'd bring it in and have it looked at. I had been having video drop outs here and there for the last couple of months. A Canon rep informed me to stick to using one brand of tape to avoid video drop out. I had bought a dry head cleaning tape and for the most part the camera seemed to be working fine. I decided to take the camera to the service center just to make sure. I received a call from Canon to inform me that the camera was ready for pick up. I arrived to pick up the camera and I was informed of the work that had been done. The entire recording unit had been replaced. To resolve the issue with the lens, they replaced the zoom switch. They also cleaned and adjusted the focus.

When I got home I ran a few tests. I had no video drop out whatsoever. The lens was focusing a lot better than before. I decided to place the camera in easy recording (green mode) and noticed a low clicking coming from the camera. No serious independent director will ever use easy mode, but I needed to test the auto focus on the camera. I connected the camera to my monitor and played back the footage. Everything sounded great until I got to the part where I had recorded in easy mode. The clicking could be heard on the playback. This was the original reason why I had asked them to check my lens in the first place. I shot some more footage and noticed that the clicking was only present while in easy mode. When I placed the camera in manual, everything was fine. I then tried setting the lens to manual and the camera to easy mode, the clicking was still there. I also noticed that the clicking was not coming from the lens, it was coming from the body. I decided to take the camera back to the service center.

When I got there I was told that the tech wanted to take another look. They told me to wait fifteen minutes while he took another look. The camera had my footage so they told me he would go over it. I waited for about 20 minutes. The person who had taken my camera to the tech returned with the camera. She said that they wanted to hold on to the camera for a few more days. She told me that I was the first person to report the issue. She said that the tech had placed a 16x lens on the camera and the clicking was still present. She said that the tech needed to consult with the repair center in New York to see if they had any knowledge of the malfunction. She said that they would notify me in a few days to inform me if it was a technical issue or the nature of the camera. I thought that was a bit odd. So when I shoot in easy mode, which I hardly do, I have to deal with a strange clicking coming out of my camera?

So I left the camera and now I am awaiting their response. Is there anyone out there who has experienced this problem? I thought the clicking was coming from the 20X lens but it turns out it is actually coming from the XL2 body. If you have experienced this issue, what was the result?

Thanks,
D

Richard Hunter February 9th, 2006 08:01 AM

Hi Dorian. Sorry to hear about your problems, but also interested to know the resolution when it happens (hope it is soon).

By the way, I'm not an "independent director", but I've never actually put my camera into easy mode in more than a year of usage. I can't imagine why easy mode should exist on this camera. How was the picture quality in easy mode?

Richard

Richard Alvarez February 9th, 2006 08:53 AM

For what it's worth, I used the 'easy' mode the other day. I needed some 'driving' footage. So I mounted the camera on a tripod in the passenger seat, strapped down with bungee cords, focused on infinity, set on easy mode and drove around getting it. Worked just fine.

Andrew Khalil February 9th, 2006 10:31 AM

The only clicking I've ever heard from the XL2 is when it's turned on - the stabilizer moves around a bit and I hear 2 loud "thuds." Other than that, no noises at all unless I put my ear to the lens (don't ask why) where I can hear the focus and zoom servos if I listen carefully. The actual camera also makes a high pitched whine when it's on, but no clicking that I know of.
By any chance did you capture any footage off that tape that you can post somewhere where we can hear these noises?

Kevin Janisch February 9th, 2006 12:12 PM

Can't help with the clicking problem, but to put your mind at ease about the drop outs, I had the same problem with my XL1s and once they replaced the recorder unit, no problems. Good luck with the clicks.

Dorian Azure February 9th, 2006 01:30 PM

When shooting in easy mode the picture quality is great. It focuses well and it didn't appear to have any distortions. The camera makes all the regular sounds when it starts up. The clicking that it coming from within is consistently present while in easy mode recording. I thought at first that it was due to the lens focusing, but I was wrong. Apparently even after it focuses it continues to click. II wish I could post the footage for all of you to hear but Canon kept the tape along with the camera.

To Richard Alvarez- Could you turn on your camera, set it to easy mode and then connect your headphones. If you turn up the volume to about 70% do you heart clicking? I can hear the clicking while the camera is operating but also when I playback footage I recorded. I first noticed the clicking without my headphones and then could hear it with them on.

I am trying to determine if the camera does indeed have a problem or it's just the way it should sound. It sounds like a small motor. I used motor as an example because it sounds consistent. It's not intermittent. The strange thing is that it only happens when the camera is set to easy recording. When I set the camera to manual it sounds great.