DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Can't Get New XL2 To Advance Tape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/60344-cant-get-new-xl2-advance-tape.html)

Robert W Baldwin February 10th, 2006 10:20 AM

Can't Get New XL2 To Advance Tape

Hi all: I'm new to this forum as well as a new XL2 owner. I'm sure this problem is something I'm doing wrong but I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
I just got my camera and after reading the manual I went to test it out for the first time. Everything turned on and lit up. I put in a tape and it would not go into record mode. The tape icon in the viewfinder is red and keeps blinking. I checked the lock near the top record button but that was ok. Took the tape out and put it back in with same results. The tape icon in the viewfinder keeps blinking even when there is no tape in the camera. I tried several tapes with no success. I put the camera in vcr mode but the tape advance controls don't work. I tried all the various modes with no luck. Bottom line is the tape transport doesn't seem to work. When I turn the camera on with or without tape inserted it clicks 3 or 4 times and then nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!!
Bob

Jonathan Jones February 10th, 2006 10:51 AM

I would suspect either one of two possibilities;

1.) Your machine is defective and must be sent back.

2.) You are not loading the cassette correctly. The tape loading is a two-step process. There is that exterior tape compartment door panel that you open to reveal the tape chassis - and of course there is the tape chassis itself that must be pushed back in to initate the actual tape loading. When opening up the external tape compartment door panel, the chassis disengages from the internal workings of the tape transport, and mechanically moves outward and upward to allow the insertion of the tape. After the tape is inserted, you must push lightly inward on the corner of this chassis to initiate mechanized movement back inward and downward to load the tape. Then you can close the exterior panel. It is important to note that you can close the panel entirely without having pushed the chassis, leaving the illusion that your tape is in fact loaded, when it is not.

Be certain you have correctly pushed the tape chassis back in and let the mechanical drive load the tape before you close the panel.

Note, the camera must have power (either a battery or wall plug) in order to move the tape chassis mechanism to loading and unloading the tape.
Hope this helps.
-Jon

Richard Alvarez February 10th, 2006 12:26 PM

Jonathans suggestions on loading directions are the first thing that came to my mind. Make sure you have depressed the tape carriage, and WATCHED it lower the tape into the transport, before closing the outside cover.

Beyond that, make sure the tape itself is not set in 'safe' mode. That is the tiny little green/grey tab on the back of the tape is set to REC postition, not SAVE.

If neither of these procedures check out... send the cam back.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Robert W Baldwin February 10th, 2006 02:18 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. That 2 step loading process was my problem. (along with head up behind). I hope my day gets better. Thanks again!!
Bob

Jonathan Jones February 10th, 2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert W Baldwin
Thanks for the help guys. That 2 step loading process was my problem. (along with head up behind). I hope my day gets better. Thanks again!!
Bob

yup..my pleasure.
-Jon