Xl2 -VCR compatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 10th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Xl2 -VCR compatibility

I have the XL1S and the XL2. My current dv player/recorder a JVC DVS3U will only play my GL2 tapes with out artifacts. I have read alot of threads about how the jvc will not play the XL tapes. I have been looking into the Panasonic AG DV 2500 player/recorder. (About broke$) I use Panasonic PQ tapes. Does any one have any info on this. Thank You!
Steven Delfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Do you mean artifacts or drop outs? I don't get it, if it's on tape it should play with the same quality on any deck, so not more artifacts on the one and less on the other. I do am aware of drop outs on a diversity of DV players from tapes out of any XL/GM camera,so maybe you're mixing things up? Or you're learning me something new here.. ;-)
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Rozenberg
Do you mean artifacts or drop outs? I don't get it, if it's on tape it should play with the same quality on any deck, so not more artifacts on the one and less on the other. I do am aware of drop outs on a diversity of DV players from tapes out of any XL/GM camera,so maybe you're mixing things up? Or you're learning me something new here.. ;-)
Some of the Canon transports are slightly off and cause incompatibilities when trying to play on other decks. I have this very issue when trying to playback tapes shot on one of my Xl-2 cameras in the Panasonic 953 camera. But yes, in theory they should all play nice together.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm aware of the transport problems of the Canons (see my "issues" post in the XL-H1 section of this forum). But in my situations it only results in digital drop outs in audio and video and not in more artifacts.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #5
New Boot

Xl2-Vcr compatibility/ repley

Thanks guys, The artifacts are little dots ( not drop outs) Like sparkles every 3 to 8 minutes. When i capture straight from xls to computer its ok. I have read about this before. I have two GL2s also and the tapes from them play fine in the JVC DV vcr. Thanks. Iam also new to this site.
Old February 10th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Steven

are you talking about little squares that appear every so often ?

if so run a cleaning tape and see if they go away on old footage. They may go away completely or just some of it.

Then after running the cleaning tape run new tapes and see if you still have the problem.

I had the same with a brand new XL2 until i cleaned the heads.
Old February 10th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #7
New Boot

Xl2-Vcr compatibility/ repley

Thanks Again. No not squares, round little fire work looking dots. About 8 or 9 at a time. I will try the things you suggest. New Panasonic tapes arrived today ( can only afford the PQs) along with some Panasonic cleaners. Will let you guys know..
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Steve,

I've seen what your talking about also. I don't own the JVC deck you mention, but if it's the one I thnk you're talking about (the one that has Mini DV & S-VHS?), there is a Media Arts School I've been working along with on a particular project I've been shooting with my XL2, where we've tried capturing the footage to a G5 with the JVC Deck, and have noticed in spots that "sparkle" "spark" kind of glitch, where when we recaptured just the sections we needed to compensate for the problem areas with the XL2 (as much as I rather not), the capture went great. And I've also heard of that problem with those decks (Brian from Zotz Cameras will no longer sell those decks, he feels that they have some kind of transport problem in the deck themselves) before I ever had a chance to actually use one.

Joe
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #9
New Boot

Xl2DV VCR Compatibilty, Repley

Yea Joe, You got it .Thats what i mean. Has the mini Dv on one side. The tapes from my Gl2s play fine but not the XLs. Iam running out of money. Me and my wife invested in more equipment. I have just enough left to get the Panasonic AG-DV 2500 player/recorder. I dont know if its compatible. I have read a few threads that the Xls like Panasonic better?? Whats every one else doing?
Thank you all!
Steven Delfino
Old February 11th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Steven, if you do go with the Panasonic AG-DV 2500, can you let us know what results you get with it? I to am in need of a good deck.
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #11
Regular Crew

also, i've heard good things about the Sony DSR 11. you might want to check into that one b4 you make a decision.
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #12
New Boot

Thanks i will check them out!
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #13
New Boot

Yea its sweet (The sony DSR11) I always did like that one. I see it all the time on videography equipment lists. Some how i got to be sure these will play the Xl1s and Xl2

Steve
Steven Delfino is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders