DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Bnc? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/60643-bnc.html)

Adam Rench February 14th, 2006 01:04 AM

Bnc?

What is this thing I've circled in this picture. The only thing that is mentioned in the XL2 manual is that it can be switched to RCA or BNC. Is BNC SDI? Composite? I hate it when the manuals don't specify this stuff. It's probably due to my inexperience in this stuff.

Here's the picture of what I'm talking about

Kevin Wild February 14th, 2006 01:09 AM

Composite BNC...great for going to an NTSC field monitor.

KW

Adam Rench February 14th, 2006 01:13 AM

Ahhh... OK OK... I got it. So, it's not used for capturing then at all right?

Greg Boston February 14th, 2006 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Rench
Ahhh... OK OK... I got it. So, it's not used for capturing then at all right?

Well, it could be used for 'analog' video capture. But then, so could the S-Video connector.

-gb-

Adam Rench February 14th, 2006 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Well, it could be used for 'analog' video capture. But then, so could the S-Video connector.

-gb-

Yeah... But why would anyone want to capture that way right? With the XL2 just hook up the firewire and off you go right? There's not a better way then that is there?

Greg Boston February 14th, 2006 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Rench
Yeah... But why would anyone want to capture that way right? With the XL2 just hook up the firewire and off you go right? There's not a better way then that is there?

Just used both of my XL-2 cameras a month ago for a live switched shoot fed to projectors on each side of stage. We used the BNC outputs because it's easier to do long cable runs. BNC is what you will find for composite video connections on a lot of higher end equipment. I suspect that's why Canon chose to include one as an alternative to just the RCA and S-Video jacks.

Another situation that could come into play is if you have footage to give the local news stations. Their equipment doesn't usually have firewire so you have to feed them with the composite bnc connector. That's about the only capture scenario I could think of.

-gb-

Adam Rench February 14th, 2006 01:50 AM

Cool. Thanks for the info. That connector was really bugging me! haha. Ya know.. cause I didn't know what it did. :)

Michael Salzlechner February 14th, 2006 05:56 AM

What does it take to convert from rca to bnc or the other way around ?

Adam Rench February 14th, 2006 07:54 AM

There are cables that do that sort of thing. Here, check this out.

Cables

Chris Hurd February 14th, 2006 07:57 AM

The BNC connector is on the XL2 (and XL H1) primarily to serve as a monitor connection.

You could capture from it, but that's not why they put it there. It's there because pro monitors use BNC.

Adam Rench February 14th, 2006 07:59 AM

Chris - would this be a decent field monitor to connect to the BNC connection?

JVC Monitor

Greg Boston February 14th, 2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Salzlechner
What does it take to convert from rca to bnc or the other way around ?

That's pretty straightforward Michael. You could even use a push on adapter. I think I still have some lying around, in fact. They are both 2 pin connections with the signal being the center pin and the ground being the outer ring.

-gb-

Richard Alvarez February 14th, 2006 08:05 AM

Any good sized electronics store will have adapters that will take you from BNC to RCA, RCA to S-Video and back the other way. I like to keep a set of them in my grip bag.