Ringing and Crawling at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1
New Boot

Ringing and Crawling

My XL2 shows ringing or ghosting (just one ghost) on dark to light transitions like a pole or branch against the sky.

Even more disturbing, I get a noisy crawl on fine green detail like grass, bushes,and leafy trees. I also see it in fine vertical lines like bare trees. Sort of like the noise in a VHS movie, but worse. I bought it to do some nature video so this has been a problem.

I haven't done much playing with the camera setting except for knee and stretch which helped the blacks but didn't change the noise situation. I really want to start optimizing the camera's levels and settings. In some situations it looks good, in others ugly, but I've got to solve these problems first.

Last edited by David Fix; February 16th, 2006 at 01:47 AM.
David Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Major Player

What frame rate are you using?
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Sounds like you may be using frame mode for recording. I know on my xl1s if its set to frame mode it does some weird stuff with vertical lines
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
Sounds like you may be using frame mode for recording. I know on my xl1s if its set to frame mode it does some weird stuff with vertical lines
Frame mode on the XL-2 is completely different since it has natively progressive scan CCD's.

As to the original poster, some of that noise is due to the better resolution offered by the camera. There have been many threads towards the beginning of the forum as people discoverd the 'moire' effect with high detail scenes. There is a control called 'vertical detail' that when set to LOW, will help overcome this. You also have a control called 'noise reduction' that you can add a notch or two of.

The XL-2 is a good camera out of the box, and a great cam once you tweak it a little.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders