DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   buying Varizoom Flowpod for XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/61063-buying-varizoom-flowpod-xl2.html)

Alkim Un February 19th, 2006 03:23 PM

buying Varizoom Flowpod for XL2

hi friends,

At BH store, under the Accessory list of Canon XL2 there is Varizoom flowpod stabilizer, but if you go to varizoom webpage, under the specification of Flow pod; camera weight range, says "not recommended for Canon XL2" .

fully load XL2 weights 3.54 kg, and max load of flowpod is 9lb means 4kg. I plan to use this camera with 20x or 3x wide lenses with flowpod. does anyone tried flowpod with XL2.

The problem is My friend bought XL2 with Varizoom flowpod, and I am confused If it works with XL2 ?

thanks
alkim.

Ash Greyson February 19th, 2006 07:21 PM

It will not work... at least not very well. The XL2 is big enough that you have to step up to the $1500+ units.

ash =o)

Alkim Un February 20th, 2006 05:31 AM

thanks ash,

it is logical to cancel the purchase,

by the way glidecam says glidecam4000 model is perfectly suited to XL2 but its load capacity is 10 lb. hence this option is also not a good option to XL2 too ?

regards,
alkim.

Walter J Walsh February 20th, 2006 02:52 PM

I have used an XL2 and a flowpod together and it's not the best combo. The XL2 is heavy. I work out with weights , not that I'm saying I'm Arnold, but I found the heaviness tiring.

The XL2 also has an odd center of gravity. It was imposible for me to get a perfect balance. So I felt I was always struggling with it.

Alkim Un February 20th, 2006 03:12 PM

yes my main concern, beside XL2 is too heavy for flowpod, was center of gravity problem. maybe the reason for varizoom not recommend it is this.because flow pod, as far as I understand on the catalogue, has only x-y way sliding plate. if the center of gravity is off xy-axis, as you mentioned, it is a problem..

interestingly today varizoom company removed the statement "not recommended for Canon XL2" in flowpod website. because yesterday I also contacted to them and explain the situation I faced.I am curious that if BH store also remove the varizoom flowpod in accessories list of Canon XL2 :) because I also noted this to them..

flowpod with XL2 weights up to 5 kg-heavy enough to handheld, at least without any vest vs.

thanks
alkim.

Alkim Un February 20th, 2006 06:21 PM

today I got a response from Bh pro video department.they told me that they had called the varizoom: varizoom replied that upper-end models well supported XL2 instead of flowpod.

I want to thank BH store.

alkim.

Ash Greyson February 20th, 2006 10:46 PM

Glidecam will work but I would recommend the smooth shooter or the more expensive varizoom products. I have a Streadicam Flyer for my XL2.

ash =o)

Michael Padilla February 22nd, 2006 12:20 PM

XL2's & varizoom

I own both the XL2 and a varizoom stabilizer.. and it works great!
Oh, but its not a flowpod, this cam is way to heavy for a hand held system. When I was going through this motion I was at nab 2005 so I was able to test out every system available.

My conclusion is that Glidecam seemed a good cheap way to go, but after I included everything I ended up with a cheap system that was way to expensive :)

The problem with glidecam is that everything is done separately.. which is fine for a GL2, but not an XL2 where you need to buy the stabilizer, and then the monitor that mounts to the bottom of the 4000, then batteries to power the monitor, then you have wires all over the place, and its already way to heavy of a hand held system, and the brace won't help much, so you'll end up buying a vest and arm (smooth shooter).. and its just not worth it in the end.. you'll have now spent as much or more with glidecam as what you would have spent to buy a sweet complete rig from the start elsewhere. What a headach.

I then tested out what Steadicam had to offer.. it was alright (way better than glidecam) but I didn't like it too much overall and it was WAY expensive, looked like a million bucks though...

Then I found the Vaizoom booth.. man was I suprised, I saw the stabilizer rigs and thought, wow that looks perfect; looked very similar to the Steadicam Flyer rigs and up; and I thought it would be priced similar to Steadicam.. it wasn't, it was Cheaper! So I tried it on and I loved it, it was the most comfortable & easiest system to use, and the guys at varizoom were awesome to deal with. Ask for Tom. Anyway I have the Aviator rig; and if you go to their website they have a pic of us working under the testimonials tab under stabilizers. Good stuff - check it out!!

Alkim Un February 26th, 2006 07:30 AM

thanks michael, walter and ash,

I ll get the equipment including flowpod this monday. one way is replace it upper models, othe ris keep and use with light cameras, or sell it to friend who have lighter equipment. but I think I ll keep it because it complete compact set for light cameras..

regards,
alkim.

Dave Wowchuk February 27th, 2006 05:39 PM

I'd really re-think buying the Varizoom flowpod. Even if you had to buy all the pieces to go with the Smooth Shooter, you're still going to be better off. One of my classmates at the Maine Workshops bought a Varizoom Flowcam, and ended up sending it back ... it just didn't work right. The Flyer is an excellent stabilizer with the XL2, and the arm is where all the cost is. The Smooth Shooter is an affordable option, and really it's all about the operator not the rig. Yes, it's nice to have a top-end rig ... but if you don't know how to use it, it's like giving a 16yr old an F1 Racecar.

Have a serious look at the Smooth Shooter.