New XL2 owner looking for resources at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 20th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #1
New Boot

New XL2 owner looking for resources

I've upgraded from an Optura 200MC to the XL2. Anyone know a good resource to learn the basics of filming at this level?

For example, the shutter light in the EVF turns on when I set the shutter to anything but 1/48 in 24p mode. It even states this in the manual. However, I don't know why it turns on. Is it a warning? Is 1/48 considered the optimal shutter speed for that mode?

Until yesterday, I didn't even know what the 20x and 3x meant for the lens. Anyway, I would rather read up a little instead of flooding forums with stupid basic questions.
Aidan Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #2
New Boot

1/48 is considered to be the "correct" shutterspeed for capturing at 24p, so the light comes on to let you know when it isn't set to that. Just as the gain light will come on when it's set to -3db, even though you aren't adding gain, it still comes on. There's was (and probably still is) a video over at dvcreators.net that shows you some of the different options the camera has to offer.
Geoff Voorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

XL2 Feature Tour

Hello Aidan,

The QuickTime movie Geoff mentioned is an informative video. It's a fairly hefty file, so if you don't have broadband, you may be in for quite a wait.

It is on the www.dvcreators.net website under their dvestore theatre.
The link is below.

http://dvestore.com/theatre/index.html

It's called "Watch the XL2 Feature Tour Video!"

The video has helped me a lot with my recent purchase of an XL2.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders