xl2/z1 compatability? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 24th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Trustee

xl2/z1 compatability?

I 've been shooting with an xl2 for over a year now and I want to get a second camera for 2 cam stuff. It's hard for me to justify an xlh1 because of the price. I've thought about getting another xl2, but I'm also considering a z1, because of its' smaller, more portable size ( plus entry level hdv).
My question is-if I shoot with both the z1 and xl2 in sd, will the color and look be close? If not, can the set ups in both be tweaked so that they're close?
I'd appreciate any feedback.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I haven't used either camera, but they both have enough control over image acquisition that I would think you could tweak them to get similar enough images, to be able to shoot with both of them and cut between them okay.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

This may sound slightly counterintuitive perhaps, but if the XL2 winds up shooting an image that is too much sharper than you can get from the Z1 in SD mode, to be able to get a good match, you could shoot in HDV mode with the Z1 and downsize the image in post to match the XL2 SD image, and probably get really close. Many don't realize it, but if you know how to do it, you can have quite considerable control over how an image gets resized in post, if need be. That might make color matching a little bit more work though. I'm sure if you really put your mind to it, you could make the two cameras work well together somehow.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders