DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2/DVC-PRO50 Format (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/61559-xl2-dvc-pro50-format.html)

Patrick Bienvenu February 26th, 2006 06:47 AM

XL2/DVC-PRO50 Format

We own an xl2. We are competing for a job where the client has specified that the production be done in DVC-PRO 50 format with a 16 x 9 aspect ratio.
I believe DVC-PRO 50 is a panasonic format. Can we shoot in DVC-PRO 50 with the XL2? Is DVC-PRO 50 simply the type of tape - or is that a format requiring a Panasonic Camera? Thanks.

Jimmy McKenzie February 26th, 2006 08:21 AM

Different format

Twice the data stream as the XL2 through traditional ieee1394 firewire at 25 mbps. The DVCPRO50 is 50 MBPS stream offering less compression.

Stack the finished output of both although and you'll be hard presssed to notice the difference.

Upscaled XL2 footage stacks up nicely to downscaled shots from the 4k Dalsa cam when viewed at 2k rez.

Patrick Bienvenu February 26th, 2006 11:23 AM

Still not clear on DVC-PRO 50 format

Thanks for the reply.

Is DVC-PRO 50 a format that can be used or simulated with the XL2?

What comarable format can be shot with the XL2 and does it offer the same quality?

Thanks - would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Jimmy McKenzie February 26th, 2006 04:43 PM

Comparing Oranges to Clementines

XL2 is dv25 only. Standard 720x480 at 1.2 P.A.R. for widescreen via firewire. About 14 gigs per hour of data and roughly 5 to 1 compression. The DVCPro is about 4 to 1 ... or better...

Patrick Bienvenu February 26th, 2006 06:08 PM

Can xl2 output be mastered on DVC Pro 50 tape?

Thanks Jimmy - so I guess the bottom line is:

(1) that to shoot DVC50 - I would have to go buy a Panasonic

(2) that in terms of quality of final product - what the xl2 produces in dvc 25 is very close, if not equal, to the panasonic?

Am I on the right track? My potential client is requiring that a master be provided on "DVC PRO 50 Tape with unmixed Audio". Can I transfer what I shoot with the xl2 to this format?

Thanks so much for your help.

Patrick Bienvenu February 26th, 2006 06:08 PM

Can xl2 output be mastered on DVC Pro 50 tape?

Thanks Jimmy - so I guess the bottom line is:

(1) that to shoot DVC50 - I would have to go buy a Panasonic

(2) that in terms of quality of final product - what the xl2 produces in dvc 25 is very close, if not equal, to the panasonic?

Am I on the right track? My potential client is requiring that a master be provided on "DVC PRO 50 Tape with unmixed Audio". Can I transfer what I shoot with the xl2 to this format?

Thanks so much for your help.

Jimmy McKenzie February 27th, 2006 02:07 AM

Sounds like your client is post facility or broadcast station. Since they are looking for a separate audio track, they can spec perhaps the medium: DAT?

As for the cam, check out a rental. The XL2 as good as it is, is not what your client is looking for.