Canon, HEAR ME NOW! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 1st, 2006, 09:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon, HEAR ME NOW!

Alright, If anyone from Canon is reading these threads. Your new H1 kicks major but for it being a sub 10k weighing in on 50 - 100K dollar HD cameras. Unfortantely for me, a 2 camera setup for me is way, way out of my middle income paycheck. Here is my point, since SD will still be a mainstream deliverable medium for a couple of years and the XL2 is the cream of the crop for SD. How bout making BLACK special edition XL2 cameras. I know its not something neccassary and content is king. But the respect you get when you wip out a slick looking CAM is pricless. Its a trend thing. Even PC went from boring white to every color under the sun (but white). SHOOT!!! For the price of one H1, I can get 2 XL2's with manual servo lens and some extra trimmings and it would look slicker if they were H1 Black.

So this is my official request, XL2 in a black finish like the H1...... Or do I have to go get a airbrush paint kit from the model shop.. Anyways, thanks for the consideration.
Eli R Cantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:51 PM   #2
Major Player

The White on the XL2 does two things...

1: Makes the camera EXTREMELY GOOD at handeling hot weather

2: Look professional.

First point... white absorbs less heat than black. You take XL2 to Mozambique, it will work. That long lens will stay nice n cool.

Second. Go to a sporting event/press conference. All pros have white lenses on their cam for the above reason. White looks pro. The cam stands out, not trying to look burly. It is burly.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli R Cantu
Alright, If anyone from Canon is reading these threads. Your new H1 kicks major but for it being a sub 10k weighing in on 50 - 100K dollar HD cameras. Unfortantely for me, a 2 camera setup for me is way, way out of my middle income paycheck. Here is my point, since SD will still be a mainstream deliverable medium for a couple of years and the XL2 is the cream of the crop for SD. How bout making BLACK special edition XL2 cameras. I know its not something neccassary and content is king. But the respect you get when you wip out a slick looking CAM is pricless. Its a trend thing. Even PC went from boring white to every color under the sun (but white). SHOOT!!! For the price of one H1, I can get 2 XL2's with manual servo lens and some extra trimmings and it would look slicker if they were H1 Black.

So this is my official request, XL2 in a black finish like the H1...... Or do I have to go get a airbrush paint kit from the model shop.. Anyways, thanks for the consideration.
It's funny that you mention this, they know that Black is more powerful and looks more pro, they redesigned the Rebel to a black version after everyone complained and if you go to the Canon Japan website, the GL2 is shown there as the XV2 in black. So they know, but now start to think about what Japan has done to us over the years, remember the 1st CD players, about the size of todays computers, then they got smaller and smaller and smaller and what do we as American consumers do, we buy every version... they have a Black XL2, they will release it to us one day, just not until we buy enough silver ones to make them happy.

Canon Japan: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...tml%3fdv%3dpro

miguel
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:01 PM   #4
New Boot

Very true, Thanks and those are some good points. I have owned the xl & xls with great pride and they still to this day demad respect. BUT!!! for those that will have this baby only for indenpendent filmaking & weddings/Quinceañeras(mexican sweet 15's) and keeps it out of extreme conditons. It would be a nice novelty in owning the best affordable SD cam out there. OFCOURSE content is king and your talents are not reflected in the asthetics of your tools. BUT IT WOULD BE FUN!!

Point taken tho, Didn't really think of that as a reason why they made the XL series white.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:07 PM   #5
Trustee

Folks don't pay for the look of your camera. The end result, if shot well, is way more valuable than tool itself. Even if the camera cost $15K. Sheesh, we spend that much just in travel, bookings, and expenses alone.

Get over it, if you want the image, you'll overlook the color.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:20 PM   #6
New Boot

Just a harmless request. Think of it as an ego thing when you get the car you want in the color you want. Bad comparison I know but hope you get my meaning. I will still buy if the camera does what it suppose to do well regardless of the color, but you it is nice to have options.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:42 AM   #7
Major Player

painting XL2

I still think part of the message is a good one. Yes, white keeps the camera cool but stands out like a sore-thumb for wildlife. Camoufalge tape works so-so but peels off. So, being able to paint the appropriate parts black would be beneficial. Not just paint though, but some sort of rubberized paint like that found on the eyepiece. Does anyone know if this is an epoxy or rubberized paint and whether it is available commercially?

Thanks.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:40 AM   #8
Major Player

I think using any type of product on an XL2 would just be a bad idea. Who knows what harm could come if some seeped into the buttons and such...

Maybe invest ina nice deep green Kata bag to throw around the cam. Makes it look like a Beta Cam.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM   #9
Regular Crew

a lot of people say that the looks of the camera shouldnt matter. That it's the performance and the content that matter. And for the most part that is true. But I will say, that I get a large amount of pleasure just looking at my XL2 ..i think it is a beautiful camera. And when I see that camera sitting there, it actually inspires me to create something. It gives me confidence when i'm shooting. And all based on the fact that it's a beautiful camera. So that being said, to me, looks are important.
John Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:04 PM   #10
Major Player

I will agree with the heat issues associated with a white camera vs a black one. I was stuck shooting near Death Valley last July where the temp never went below 100 farenheit even over night and would touch 116 during the day. I was shooting on an XL2 and even at 9am the sun was just absolutely brutal, we'd usually wrap at 10am then wait til 5pm to start shooting again but the heat was horrid, the XL2's black magnesium chassis would get so hot that you couldn't really touch it but the white parts of the body probably saved the day. the camera ran flawlessly all week. i think my H1 would likely cook itself in those conditions.
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:24 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I'd say to get out the airbrush, and keep cans of black and white paint handy depending on the shooting conditions.

:-)
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:33 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Canon L series lenses are all white, and typify high quality... so in this regard, white is classically professional.
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:39 PM   #13
Major Player

the xv2 does look damn sexy though...
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM   #14
Major Player

I really like the white look to be honest... also, great incase you ever misplace it! :P
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:53 PM   #15
Major Player

not all L series lenses are white, the wider ones tend to be black, but all of the L series telephotos are indeed white, more of a beige really.
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders