New XL-2 tomorrow, anything we MUST do first? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #16
Tourist

xl2

Hi congrats on the xl2 I have had one for the last 9 months one of the best semipro cams on the market seems all as been said just one thing from a video engineer do not over do the cleaning tape it’s not good for the heads depending on the use probably best done ones per month at the max.

malcolm
Malcolm J Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

I have opened the camera, assembled it (there was no guide, just the manual?), and have played with it a bit.

1) Before I record my first tape, which I'll probably record as a throw-away, can you let me know how long I need to use the head cleaner? 5-6 seconds? (The Ritz Camera person told me to use the whole tape and that didn't sound right...)

2) My XL-2, in a completely quiet room, with no tape inside, makes a weird sound. Like repetitive scratching noises, humming, most like the ticking of a clock, but way out of order/sync/rhythm. Sort of like this grinding noise-- Is that normal or is something really wrong?

3) The LCD flickers a bit. Normal?

That is all for now. Thanks. Hopefully all is good.

Cheers. and thanks again!
Joe Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Desmond
Thanks guys.

I have opened the camera, assembled it (there was no guide, just the manual?), and have played with it a bit.

1) Before I record my first tape, which I'll probably record as a throw-away, can you let me know how long I need to use the head cleaner? 5-6 seconds? (The Ritz Camera person told me to use the whole tape and that didn't sound right...)

2) My XL-2, in a completely quiet room, with no tape inside, makes a weird sound. Like repetitive scratching noises, humming, most like the ticking of a clock, but way out of order/sync/rhythm. Sort of like this grinding noise-- Is that normal or is something really wrong?

3) The LCD flickers a bit. Normal?

That is all for now. Thanks. Hopefully all is good.

Cheers. and thanks again!
I respectfully submit that your Ritz Camera person is a total freakin' idiot. 10 secs is generally regarded as a norm that I read from some manufacturers - seasoned users tend to say roughly 5 or 6 seconds should do the trick without too much wear on the heads.

Does the XL2 only make the sound when starting up or is it continous while in operation? There is noise in the lens system when it is powering up as inner works must re-set and range themselves....this causes a little noise. You might also note a small amount of motor noise if in auto mode and the target causes the camera to shift its exposure and settings - likewise with zoom in and out - these functions require the use of little motors in the lens that move the stabilizer and stuff around. If the noise is present even when these factors are not present, then I would probably be worried.

Regarding the flickering LCD, mine does not flicker and I have not heard of this problem from others. Is the connection well seated? It doesn't sound right to me.

-Jon
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #19
Major Player

The LCD will flicker a bit, as it is an interlaced moniter. It has never been a problem for me, and I can only really see it in the black, if look too hard!

As for the noise, make sure you are not over reacting. Close the tape door (Push in the tape door, make sure it goes down, then close the door ontop of that).

Hit record and listen. You will always hear some tape noise, but not too much.

If you record video and the sound shows up on the tape, I would be worried.

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Ok cool. Not too worried then...

BUT, in regards to cleaning the heads the first time. The Ritz lady also said PUT the tape in and hit RECORD... I've been reading online to just put it in and hit play.

So do you put the cleaning tape into the XL-2 in VCR mode and play it? Or do you put it in while ready to record-mode and hit the red record button?

Thanks.
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #21
Trustee

Hi Joe. Just put it in and play the tape for 5-10 seconds. And don't worry so much, you should be out shooting video by now!

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter
Hi Joe. Just put it in and play the tape for 5-10 seconds. And don't worry so much, you should be out shooting video by now!

Richard
It's raining :)

Do I put it in VCR mode or just Tv/Av Mode and play it?
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #23
Trustee

VCR mode. The others are for shooting.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Very cool indeed. Thanks.

Another quick question: My room is not so dark at the moment, and i have the camera pointed at an object.

In Tv MODE, the GAIN orange bar lights up (below the LCD viewfinder)... I see a bit of noise as well in the shadows. So I pop out the GAIN switch and change it from A (Auto) to 0 (Zero)... And then the GAIN orange bar goes out and all seems well...

Question is, am I doing the right thing? I mean, when the orange bar lights up, is it telling me to FIX it and do what I did (changing the gain from A to 0?).
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #25
Major Player

the orange led under the display is just lighting up to tell you your gain is on something other than the default (0). It will also do that with the shutter depending on the mode you're in since different frame rates have different ideal shutter speeds.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I accidentally locked a custom PRESET setting and now I really REALLY want to reset it so I can put something else there... The manual says it cannot be reset, and I'm like wtf...

No easy solution for this?

Someone please tell me there is a way to reset all of this... Take out both batteries perhaps?
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Desmond
I accidentally locked a custom PRESET setting and now I really REALLY want to reset it so I can put something else there... The manual says it cannot be reset, and I'm like wtf...

No easy solution for this?

Someone please tell me there is a way to reset all of this... Take out both batteries perhaps?
Joe, just go into the menu and unlock it. Then you can change anything you want. Page 70 of the manual, just reselect the Protect option and then it will let you Clear it.
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #28
Trustee

"...Ritz Camera person told me to use the whole tape..."

ArrgggHHH! Yee GODS! Sack that person!

"...I respectfully submit that your Ritz Camera person is a total freakin' idiot..."

And so say all of us...Quick! - Give Jonathan Jones a job as Managing Director of Ritz Cameras before it is too late...
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:15 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot guys.

Two weekends of shooting. I think the footage looks. Well, I wouldn't know.

I can't figure out how to get the XL-2 to show up in Premiere Pro 2.0 so I could capture...

I've searched the XL-2 manual and the help file for Premiere... HOW DO YOU CAPTURE video... This is mind boggling....

I'm going to keep trying while waiting for someone to post

Cheers!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:41 PM   #30
Major Player

What did you already try? All you need to do is plug it into your computer, switch it to VCR mode, then in Premiere, go to file>capture. The you should be able to just hit the "tape" button and it will start capturing at the current point on the tape, so make sure it's rewound. Sorry if that sounds really basic, I know you're probably a lot more experienced than that, just trying to make sure we're on the same page and trying to figure out exactly what isn't working.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders