Canon Console software with XL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 14th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I'm tryng to use Canon Console with an intel MacBook Pro and Parallels.

With no luck does'nt even open,a message appear telling me

"HARDWARE ACCELERATION OF DISPLAY IS NOT SET TO FULL.SELECT FULL IN "DISPLAY PROPERTIES".

wich i did but nothing happens

windows XP pro

macbook pro

Canon Console 1,1

des anybody was able to run this software with Parallels?

thank you
Manuel Fantoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Fantoni View Post
I'm tryng to use Canon Console with an intel MacBook Pro and Parallels.

With no luck does'nt even open,a message appear telling me

"HARDWARE ACCELERATION OF DISPLAY IS NOT SET TO FULL.SELECT FULL IN "DISPLAY PROPERTIES".

wich i did but nothing happens

windows XP pro

macbook pro

Canon Console 1,1

des anybody was able to run this software with Parallels?

thank you

This will not work as, at least for now, Parallels does not recognize the firewire port. It will recognize the USB ports but not firewire. This is a shame as I want to be able to use the BlueBarn setup program for my XL2 but it only works in windoz so for the moment, you will have to use Boot Camp. I want to upgrade to Leopard but like any major release, I think I'll wait for the dust to settle a little on Leopard before I upgrade and put boot camp on my MacBook Pro.
Phil Hoppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:21 AM   #18
Major Player

Will Canon Console 1.1 sofware work with Vista

Has anyone tried using Canon Console 1.1 or any othe version with Windows Vista?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:52 AM   #19
Major Player

you might get a faster answer from Canon...

1-800-828-4040

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:19 AM   #20
Major Player

Good point. I just thought I'd float it out to the forum. I'll give them a call.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I've been working on this too. I can get it to install by setting the compatibility mode on the install file to "windows XP (sp2)". You can do this by right-clicking on the file. I've got it installed fine and can start it up. However, I have been unable to get it to recognize the camera which may or may not be a Vista specific issue.
Aaron Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:48 PM   #22
Major Player

I just got off the phone with tech support. I asked if Console 1.1 would run on Windows Vista. I was told NO. However, it was not the most convincing no I've ever heard. I was not able to get any explanation.

Perhaps Aaron has found a work around with the XP compatibility mode method? I'd be very interested in knowing if anyone has been able to use 1.1 with Vista successfully.

Thanks.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:22 PM   #23
Wrangler

Seel also:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....03&postcount=5
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Pete
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I was able to install Console on Vista using the compatibility properties but have no luck in having it recognize the XL2. Adobe On Location has no problem finding the camera on Vista but so far Console does not want to talk to the XL2.
Hoy Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I replaced vista with XP and now it works fine on a Dell XPS 1530. It was a look of work but well worth it and the laptop seems to run faster now.
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #27
Major Player

Thanks Hoy. You have probably saved me a lot time. I'll stick with XP for now.
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Latest findings.

Console 1.1
Works on XP with the XL2 - Toshiba Celeron 1.6 laptop 5400 rpm dirve
Works on XP with the XL2 - Dell XPS 1530 Dual Core 2.2 + 7200 rpm drive

Console will not recognize any A1 or XL2 on Vista installed on the Dell XPS 1530

Dell XPS 1530 with Windows -XP WILL NOT recognize the Canon XH A1.

However the XH A1 works with the Toshiba Celeron 1.6 (Windows XP) records without dropping any frames but only plays back at about 10 frames per seconds; the saved files are fine. Test shot with 30F looks fine.

It took a lot of hours, but I was able to set up a dual boot on the Dell XPS 1530 to test this scenario.
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #29
Tourist

Sorry - dobbelpost :-(
Kim Vater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #30
Tourist

Even later findings ;)
My first post and completely new to Canon XL2 - but and "old rat" within analog videoediting (S-VHS) and optimizing PC's and OS's for editing since 1994.

Console 1.1 works "like a charm" with Vista Home Ultimate (laptop) and Vista Ultimate (stationary) - both 32bit.

Laptop:
Acer Aspire 5920G with C2D T7500@2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD (5400rpm), Nvidia 8600M GT 512MB and 15,4" WXGA (1280X800).

The problem with Vista (and installing Console1.1) is probably, that Vista cannot handle the downloadable self-extracting Console file - which eventually extracts into another self-extracting file!

Here's how I did it:
1. Download Console1.1 from a Canon-site to a seperate new folder.
2. Use f.ex WinRar 3.71 (free trial) from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm to extract file in same folder.
3. The extraction makes a new empty folder "CANON" with a subfolder "CONSOLE11" which contains 2 files: "Console License Key Order Form.PDF" and "CONSOLE11N.EXE"
4. Then extract CONSOLE11N.EXE in this folder.
5. Extracting produces another folder: "CONSOLE11N" which now contains 3 files:
+++ Canon Utillities CONSOLE 1.1.MSI
+++ Data1.CAB
+++ Setup.EXE
6. The above 3 files are what we can use under Vista.
7. Rightclick on the "setup.exe" file and choose 'Properties'
8.Then choose 'Compatibility' and tick on *Run this program...' and choose from scrolldown menu the 'Windows XP (with Service Pack 2)'. Leave rest 'as is' - and close window.
9. Then you are good to go by dobbel-clicking "setup.exe" file. Installation should then start.
10. Be sure to use a prober DV-cable: Firewire 1394a (400Mbps) and NOT the 1394(b) cable (FireWire II 800Mbs)

Good luck ;)

BTW:
Some things to consider using Console1.1 on a laptop with Vista installed:

1. Buy extra batteries for your laptop if using it 'in field' - as Conole is a real power-consumer (as is Vista with all "Eye-candy" turned on).
2. At least 2 GB of RAM (Vista swallows a lot). 5400 or 7200rpm HDD is not that important - as miniDV-video is only about 3,5MB/s.
3. Buy a laptop with a good monitor. Bring a calibration-picture with you (ex on a memory-stick) - when buying from a real hardwarestore - if you want to use the color-functions in Console1.1.
4. I use this site for calibrating LCD and CRT monitors: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/. This site also has downloadable calibration-pictures.

Console1.1 is quite handy - but the price is way too expencive for me.

Regards
Kim from Norway

and thanks for a very helpfull and informative forum ;)

Last edited by Kim Vater; April 26th, 2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Typos and adding
Kim Vater is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders