Canon Console software with XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 16th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon Console software with XL2

Hello All:

I know this may not be the best place to ask this but since I would like comments from XL2 operators I'll put it here.

I've evaluated the trial version of the "Console" software but would like some feedback from others that own or tried it out with the XL2. The price is heavy to say the least ( $700.00 CDN) but honest opinions would be much appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #2
Wrangler

I tried it out with my XL2 also. I think the software is very impressive, but not quite worth the pricetag they are asking. Maybe Canon will see that it isn't selling well at that price and will reduce it accordingly.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

My opinion is the same as Greg's. I've posted previously in more detail in the XL H1 forum so feel free to search there for my expanded comments.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree guys and feel that we're all of the same opinion on the price etc. However my hope is that someone on the forum has paid the price and can give us all a full and honest opinion of it's value both in studio and field.

It appears that we all liked what we saw in the trial version but to me that's not a true test of the product said with fingers crossed that someone will come forward.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:51 PM   #5
New Boot

Canon Console software for XL2 (XL H1)

I'm interested in this software for the XL2:

http://www.canon.ca/english/index-pr...&epage=viewall

But unfortunally it's only for PC/Windows XP users. I have a Mac PowerBook. What can I do to get this software running on my Mac?
Allan Legarth Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Well, hm... you can get a program that allows a Mac to run windows, called Virtual PC. Of course, this is a tragically slow emulation, and will likely affect your ability to capture video. I think there are some others, probably with the same issues.

The much, much better plan, if you want to run windows and other windows based programs, is to buy a Windows PC. I know that's not a good answer, but there are real sacrifices that Mac users have to make in exchange for those round, white, Logan's Run good looks.

DJ
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:35 AM   #7
New Boot

Virtual PC won't even allow you to watch a DVD much less capture video. It's also money down the drain as MS very likely purchased it in order to allow it to wither away to nothingness. It has never run properly since MS acquired it. You COULD buy a PC, or you could buy a new Intel-based PowerBook that will boot into XP. Apple released software (the horribly named Boot Camp) recently that will allow booting XP on the new machines.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572

This is beta software, so there's no telling yet just how well it works, or if it's fast enough to capture video. One thing is for certain: it can't possibly be any worse than Virtual PC from Microsoft.
Brian MacDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian MacDougall
Virtual PC won't even allow you to watch a DVD much less capture video. It's also money down the drain as MS very likely purchased it in order to allow it to wither away to nothingness. It has never run properly since MS acquired it. You COULD buy a PC, or you could buy a new Intel-based PowerBook that will boot into XP. Apple released software (the horribly named Boot Camp) recently that will allow booting XP on the new machines.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572

This is beta software, so there's no telling yet just how well it works, or if it's fast enough to capture video. One thing is for certain: it can't possibly be any worse than Virtual PC from Microsoft.
Works really good! They had Console running on an Intel based Imac in the Canon booth at NAB. Cindy, from Canon, told me that it ran great in this configuration.

-gb-
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:49 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks guys. If anyone have anything else please share it.
Allan Legarth Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Canon Console, Bootcamp on MacBook Pro?

Hey Guys,

So as you know the XL2 is compatible with canon console.
My crappy PC laptop doesn't have a four pin firewire jack needed to connect to the XL2. I could always buy a PCMCIA card for it but blah... then I'd have to transfer.

I did make the plung for a MacBook Pro which has a six pin Firewire.

Does anyone know if Bootcamp and Windows XP will translate the six pin jack on the MacBook Pro and allow me to use to it run console?

Any hardware problems I should expect in detecting firewire?

Do I need to upgrade my internal harddrive to support a duel-boot laptop?
If so, how large should I partition my drive?

Will I be able to see my digitize content (via Console - AVI I believe) on my OS X Partion?

Lastly, When the hell is canon going to get a clue and make console an OS X version and do you think that the next camcorder generation will have console included?

Thanks for your toughts!
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #11
Major Player

Hey Christopher,

The macbook pro should have full functionality when running windows. The only thing that I cannot get to work in windows is the DVI connection. The footage that you capture will be available when you reboot to the mac OS. Bootcamp makes your windows partition visible on your mac desktop. As for partition size... it is really up to you as far as how much space you can spare, and how much you will actually be using windows on your mac.

Bootcamp will run you through a step to create the required partition so you do not need to upgrade any of the hardware on the macbook pro. Just make sure that you have windows with Service Pack 2 integrated into the boot disk.

I don't know that you will be able to transfer any files over 4 Gigs however because of the whole Fat32 to Mac platform dillema. I do believe that the best way to accomplish what you are trying to do is to purchase DV Monitor Pro. Check it out,, it has some really cool features and you can organize all of your clips and import them directly into FCP. No, I have no affiliation with the company. It is just really cool software.

Hope this helps.
Ryan
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #12
Major Player

Cool.

Thanks for the Info Ryan!
Check out the software - indeed it looks great (I should have done more research before getting console). They even have an HD version for the HVX-200.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #13
Wrangler

Christopher, I can confirm that it will run. I saw Console running on an Intel iMac in the Canon booth at NAB 2006. The Canon rep told me that it was running better in Bootcamp than on a native Windows machine. Her words, not mine.

You should be good to go.

-gb-
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I'm running Bootcamp

Here's my experience with running Windows XP on an Intel MacBook Pro:

1) Download Bootcamp installer from apple.com

2) You *must* update your intel mac with the latest version of OSX (10.4.10 at time of writing) and you *must* also update to the latest Boot ROM Version and SMC Version. Here's what System Profiler says about my mac:

Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08
SMC Version: 1.2f10

Do NOT attempt these updates on battery power!!!!!!! If your battery fails you risk irrepairable damage to your chipset.

3) Run Bootcamp. If your firmware is not up to date it will not allow you to continue. Bootcamp will burn a Windows drivers CD - you will use this *after* you install Windows. It contains drivers for Mac-specific functions such as the DVD-drive eject button and a solution to the lack of a right-click button on the touchpad.

4) Bootcamp installer it will create an NTFS partition on your Intel Mac's internal drive. Default size is 10Gig I think. This should be fine for most purposes, the assumption is that if you are doing lots of video or other storage-hungry activities then you will have a dedicated external NTFS drive anyway. You only really need your Bootcamp partition to be large enough to run Windows XP plus any other software you want to install. I do NOT recommed you chose FAT32 for your Bootcamp partition - it's unstable and cannot self-repair like an NTFS drive can. Although you will NOT be able to write to the NTFS partition from within OSX, you will be able to read it. Software is available to read Mac HFS drives from within a Windows environment however. I have searched far and wide and have not been able to find a method of writing to NTFS drives from within OSX - although clearly Apple can do it when Bootcamp creates an NTFS partition!!!
I guess there are some liscencing issues going on. The creation of an NTFS partition should not affect your data in OSX... all the same, backup backup backup before you attempt to run Bootcamp!!!!!!!!

5) You will need a proper installer for Windows XP with SP2. I do not recommend XP Home Version because it doesn't fully recognise multi-core processors - it will function fully, but it won't take advantage of your Mac's multi-cores. Obtain XP Pro if possible. Legally. :)

6) After Bootcamp has created an NTFS partition on your Mac you must reboot whilst holding down the "option" key. This will open up a boot menu where you can choose to boot OSX or Windows. Chose Windows and proceed with a Windows intall.

7) Once you have Windows running nicely, install the Mac drivers for Windows from the CD which Bootcamp made.

8) Immediately go online under Windows and obtain all the latest updates, for security purposes.

9) Ghost your nice clean Windows install for inevitable future Windows disasters!

10) Amaze and confound your friends as they see the Windows XP boot screen..... on a Mac!!!!!

I have not tried to use the 6 pin Firewire in Windows...... I hope it works for you :)
Paul V Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks for the great info everyone.
I wonder if the firewire 800 port will translate.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders