XL2 Audio - Wireless Mic + Shotgun Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 26th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #1
New Boot

XL2 Audio - Wireless Mic + Shotgun Mic

ola guys,

I just bought a Sennheiser wireless mic and a Sony shotgun mic (now attached to the body of my xl2) and I wonder if any expert can give me a good advice on best using it.

I believe I got a good equipment to obtain a decent sound and I would like an advice on how best make use of it.
I will be shooting interviews indoors (small room) and potentially outdoors (windy, noisy, etc).

I tried using both at the same time and all I get is each mic records only in one side or one channel.
Also, the side where the shotgun is recording is very low compared to the wireless mic. I have to increase a lot the volume to hear something. (am I doing something wrong?)

My question is, can or should I record with both in the same time?
Is it possible to import a video with two audio tracks? one from each mic? (without any extra equipment that is)

thanks in advance.
Paulo
Paulo Salomao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Trustee

I typically use my XL2 with a Sennheiser wireless on the one stereo track, and the shotgun on the other. I think that you'lkl find this is pretty standard.That way you have the wireless on one discreet track, and the shotgun on the other. When you bring it in to your NLE, you then have two tracks that are sperate, and you can use either or some mixture of both.
You don't want to be using the shotgun for interior dialogue...you'd be better with a hypercardiod.
Good luck.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #3
New Boot

Well, I've been using both plugs in the back of the camera and recording with both mics but once I capture it, only one track comes out. And this single audio track has both mic and I can't separate them.

Am I missing anyting?
Paulo Salomao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Trustee

You probably have the "rec chsnnel select" switch set to chan 1+2, which combines both tracks into one. You need to set it to chan 1, which will seperate the tracks into a stereo with one on the left, and one mic on the left, and the other on the right. You can then split the stereo into two tracks in your NLe, or audiio software.
Bruce Yarock
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
You probably have the "rec chsnnel select" switch set to chan 1+2, which combines both tracks into one. You need to set it to chan 1, which will seperate the tracks into a stereo with one on the left, and one mic on the left, and the other on the right. You can then split the stereo into two tracks in your NLe, or audiio software.
Bruce Yarock
That's interesting, Bruce. I was always of the impression that having the switch set to record both channels to one track would accept whatever was coming in the left channel and completely ignore what was coming in the right channel. If this is true, it opens up some possibilities I hadn't thought of.

I have used the left onto both cnannels for some mono dialog track recording in the past. Just never thought to simultaneously plug something into the other channel to see if it could be heard as well.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Trustee

Greg,
It's really helpfull if you need to capture ambient sound and other people talking (as long as you're close enough). that's what you get on the shotgun track, while getting the lav'd talent on the wireless track. They stay seperate so that you can tweak either. Sometimes I'll mix both if it sounds ok.
Bruce Yarock
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
Greg,
It's really helpfull if you need to capture ambient sound and other people talking (as long as you're close enough). that's what you get on the shotgun track, while getting the lav'd talent on the wireless track. They stay seperate so that you can tweak either. Sometimes I'll mix both if it sounds ok.
Bruce Yarock
Precisely one of the possibilities I was thinking of, Bruce.

Thanks again,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders