XL2- Canon Lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 1st, 2006, 09:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2- Canon Lenses

Hey,

Are all Canon lenses the same, I mean can I put a canon lens from a canon photo camera on an XL2 or the other way, and will it work.

or are there canon adapter to do that.

thank you
Kalil Jalili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You can put any EOS lens on an XL2 with an EF adapter made by canon, but there is a magnification factor of about 7.

See here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php

and here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article10.php

Great for super telephoto stuff, but not much else.
As for XL video lenses... to my knowledge they only work with xl camcorders.
The ability to change lenses is a huge selling point with the XL1/s/2/H1, etc...

I currently have the 20x, the awesome 16x manual, and I am debating on whether or not to get the 3x in place of a wide angle adapter.
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalil Jalili
Hey,

Are all Canon lenses the same, I mean can I put a canon lens from a canon photo camera on an XL2 or the other way, and will it work.

or are there canon adapter to do that.

thank you
Canon lenses for still photography come in different mounts

FD mount. The old manual focus mount
EF mount. The new auto focus mount for current film and digital still cameras
EFS mount lenses. These are lenses that will only work with EF-S mount cameras

With the EF adapter you can use EF mount lenses on the XL series but the focal length will be 'multiplied' by approx 8.

For regular video work these lenses do not make much sense because even a 16-35 would be a 120mm on the wide end

For things like nature photography this is a nice feature of course
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Tourist

need some advice

Hey, I'm finally getting my hands on an XL2 in the next week or so and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should be looking for in the lens department. Should I stick with the Canon 20x L IS or go with the Canon 16x Manual? I have found a deal where I can get the Canon 20x L IS along with a 2x Telephoto Lens and Wide Angle Converter lens. I was either thinking about this package or go with the 16x Manual. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of a decent audio set up for the XL2 I would like to hear about it. Thanks.
Nicholas Glekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Glekas
Hey, I'm finally getting my hands on an XL2 in the next week or so and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should be looking for in the lens department. Should I stick with the Canon 20x L IS or go with the Canon 16x Manual? I have found a deal where I can get the Canon 20x L IS along with a 2x Telephoto Lens and Wide Angle Converter lens. I was either thinking about this package or go with the 16x Manual. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of a decent audio set up for the XL2 I would like to hear about it. Thanks.
Nicholas,

Before anyone can really answer this question properly, we would need to know what you are going to use the camera for and your experiance level. There is a lot to learn about the camera inself, without jumping straight into lens options.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders