DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/64271-adapter.html)

Rodney Compton April 3rd, 2006 02:25 PM

adapter

Hi Guys

Got a great new adapter for a 400mm f2.8 Canon FD lens - only trouble is my XL2 can't see my standard 20x zoom now. It just keeps saying, 'check lens'. Looks like I'm just going to have to buy that XLH1 after all. Anyone want a 20x zoom, or perhaps provide a solutioninstead. It didn't help, I guess, that I left the camera on when I took the lens off!

Rod C

Tony Davies-Patrick April 3rd, 2006 02:49 PM

I'll buy the XL2 body off you for a good price if you're going for the H1, Rodney. PM or Email me.

Rodney Compton April 4th, 2006 03:45 PM

Adapter

Thanks Tony - the idea in posting was that someone might tell me how to reset my 20x servo lens with the camera body.

If you remember, you and one or two others were keen on lens-less adapters for Nikon/Canon telephoto lenses, instead of the standard EF adapter Canon produce for the XL2. Unfortunately, in the process of fitting the lensless adapter I bought, it now seems that the normal function of the XL2 camera body and the standard servo lens no longer work together.

However, I got some really good footage today on the XL2 using the 400 f2.8 Canon, but I am not sure the expense of the adapter and the prime lens was worth it, compared with the cheaper option I used last year of the EF adapter and a cheaper Sigma 135-400 f4-5.6 zoom, (which is actually not a 400mm at all really more like 370mm).

the XLH1 is on the cards, but I have to fix the XL2 problem first - ironically the lens I want to ship out first is the standard servo lens that came with the XL2. I am contemplating a conversion to a 1/2 " or 2/3 " wide angle IF Canon x2 and use it as a short standard manual lens. Alternatively I wait for a new range of XLH1 manual lenses, and of course there is also the prospect of a direct to disc XLH2 to consider, it can't be very long before Canon produce one.

Anyway, its all a learning process.

Rod C

p.s I picked up some really cheap heavy duty batteries for the XL2 etc on ebay - about £15 each!

Bob Thompson April 4th, 2006 11:57 PM

Rodney,

Sorry to hear the news that the camera now won't regonise the 20x zoom. I use an adaptor with my Canon 300mm 2.8 and have not had that problem when switching back to the 20x.

I would suggest connecting the 20x zoom and removing the camera and memory batteries and wait a while before reconnecting them - maybe you will be in luck or maybe Tony will get a cheap body

Bob

Tony Davies-Patrick April 5th, 2006 01:29 AM

I've never had a single problem (touch wood!) after extensive use of the Les Bosher Nikkor adapter (I don't use the autofocus Canon XL 16X, 20X or 3X lenses, only the MF XL Canon 16X Servo lens and various Nikkors, so I think the main problem is the Canon XL autofocus lenses).

Bob's suggestion of removing the small main button battery - that sets the XL internal body clock - may be worth trying.

Check and clean the electrical contacts on both the 20X lens and XL2 body, and also check that the lens locking pin is properly seated when connected to the XL.

If it still doesn't fix it, then the time when you left the camera switched after removing the 400mm lens must have been the main problem...although adding and removing the adapter and Canon FD lens were probably not ever going to cause a problem, rather only if you actually left everything switched on when you removed the FD lens + adapter, and then tried to bayonet on the Canon XL 20X lens with power already flowing to the bayonet contact points.

Rodney Compton April 5th, 2006 10:11 AM

Adapter

Thanks guys, my first thoughts were to take out the batteries. But Tony is right about the contacts being live. Trouble is I can't spare the camera - I hope to post some footage before too long on my website: xyris.tv, I am rebuilding the whole interface in Dreamwaever at the moment, just keep adding more stuff. Off to do some evening filming...

Rod C