My XL2 / Redrock M2 combo... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 17th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #16
Tourist

setup tutorial

I couldn't find any setup tutorial link on the forum especially with XL2. Do you know of any links I can refer to?
Srikanth Galla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Matthew,

I have a quick question for ya, If someone is going to purchase the Redrock M2 adapter, does this mean that the 20x Fluorite lens wont work with it right off the bat? Or does the adpater fit right on to the 20x 72mm lens?

Your rig looks incredible!

Last edited by Shervin Mandgaryan; July 4th, 2006 at 10:46 PM.
Shervin Mandgaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Fits right on out of the box. No step-up ring needed unless you want to hard mount it (which is strictly optional)...

Regards,

~J
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff!

So everything is there inside of the M2 kit (And maybe all the other ones like the SGpro, Letus and such...) and all you basically need is a 35mm still lens to go with it? This all makes sense now, and I am starting to appreciate how far video is going to go to be film, it's so remarkable I am just in awe.

Cheers,
Shervin Mandgaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I can't definitively speak to any DOF adapter aside from the M2 (which I own). If you buy one of their bundles, it comes with everything you need aside from 35mm lenses, including:

1. Rod and rail system
2. M2 adapter
3. Achromat for focusing on the ground glass element

It costs around $1,000, and absolutely works right out of the box for the XL2... Which may be a bit of a misleading statement now that I think about it. From a 'do I need to buy anything else' standpoint, an M2 bundle + at least one 35mm lens will get you there.

On the other hand, from a knowledge standpoint, adding a DOF adapter takes any video camera a couple steps farther away from 'point-and-shoot' and a couple steps closer to 'you really do need to have some idea of what you're doing to make the most of this equipment.' Fortunately there is a thriving forum community similar to what we have here at DVi, and many of us are willing to volunteer our time and knowledge to get new folks up and running. It took me a couple weeks of experimenting before I was comfortable enough with it to use it 'for real,' and I still feel like I'm learning new things with it every day. Anyway... Hope that helps clarify.

Regards,

~J
Old July 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Procuccio
It looks like the M2 is just an adapter and that you will need to get a 35mm lens for it. The M2 web site is difficult to gather info on pricing. How much is the M2? Also, how much are 35mm lens'? Can you use a canon/nikon 35mm photocamera lens with the M2?

Any input is appreciated :)
all of our pricing is available under the purchase menu from our home page. It's all there :)
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #22
Major Player

Hi Mathhew-
Did the package come with those sweet handles or are they after-aftermarket if so share the details. FYI I made a monitor hood for my 7" using black corrugated plastic and hot glue that works great on the cheap if your wallet is still a little too warm.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #23
Regular Crew

The hand grips do not come with the M2. I don't know what kind Matthew has, but I believe Cavision makes ones just like that.

BTW, as pointed out on the Redrock website, a shim kit (which Redrock optionally provides) is required to use the M2 with an XL camera.
Colton Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Another thing to note about the M2 is the lead time in ordering. They say it all over their website, but it's worth repeating here... From the time you lay your cash on the barrelhead, you can expect a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks of waiting (lately it's been more like 8 weeks) before you'll get your M2. This is because Redrock builds each M2 to order.

Personally I was lucky enough to be able to borrow my friends M2 while I waited for mine to arrive, but I know for a lot of people on the M2 forums, the wait is a painful and frustrating one. Just something to be aware of going in...

Regards,

~J

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders