XL-2 Problem - Purple Artifact on 16:9 Mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 6th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL-2 Problem - Purple Artifact on 16:9 Mode

Hello,

I recently purchased a Canon XL-2 and noticed on 16:9 there is a purple artifact on the top left of the footage. It does not happen on 4:3 nor does it not happen in very brightly lit areas in which the image is saturated (Iris opened to the max). I believe this has something to do with the CCD's being damaged, but if theres an option or something to do to fix it, I would like to know it.

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/7...ture2346lt.jpg

A picture of the problem.

Thanks,

Shervin
Shervin Mandgaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello all,

I recently fixed the problem, looked like my lens had a peice of small fabric between the lens and the ccd's. Upon closer inspection I removed the fabric and cleaned my lens out.

Works like a charm now!

Shervin
Old April 7th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Major Player

small piece of fabric. How the heck did that get in there? Congratulations on it not being CCD damage.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It was probobly off my shirt or something, but I am really glad that it wasnt CCD damage, otherwise Canon would have to come to my aid again...
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello all,

This problem is re occuring again, that peice of fabric I removed was near the middle of the camera, and was colored black.

I thought the CCD's might have picked up the color black on the lens and misinterpreted it, but after removal I did some more test footage and the problem re occured.

This problem only happens in a blue moon, but if there is a problem in this camera I would like to get it fixed whether this happens very rarely.

How do I go about requesting a repair from Canon? I heard rumours that the XL-2 is not supported by Canon anymore and I might be out of luck with my warrantee.

Any help would be greatful.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2...ure66789qu.jpg

Another picture of the problem (Shot in SP)

Shervin,
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Shervin. Are you not able to take the camera back to your dealer to handle the warranty repair? That would be the simplest option if it is open to you.

Where did you hear about Canon not supporting XL2 anymore? This is still a current model (AFAIK) so I think it is pretty unlikely that it is not supported.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

It was on the prism face of the CCD block. No biggie. Not possible to actually damage the CCDs as they are mated directly to the prism itself... nothing can get in there. CCD damage is usually electrical in nature.

And that "rumor" is ridiculous, and please do not spread rumors here of any sort (except in our Area 51 forum where they're encouraged). Of course the XL2 is supported by Canon. It's a current product. Even when it's eventually phased out, Canon will continue to support it and service it for seven years past its end-of-life date. That policy is in place for all manufacturers, not just Canon.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Can this problem be solved by a quick trip to a canon repair service center? Or do I actually have to ship this bad boy to canon?

Thanks.
Shervin Mandgaryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders