Please post a screen grab using this Preset - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 14th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
javier,

I went to brians site and down loaded the clip. I like the Look and I will load that in my xl2 tomarrow and shoot some footage up here in the north where nothing is green yet!!
I do not have a way of posting it but I will get back to you about it!!!
Thank you Dale. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it.
Javier Urena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 04:13 AM   #17
Regular Crew

New files

Hey Javier,

Here are 3 new files.

All were shot at the -3 gain you indicated in the first post. The compression, again, is motion.jpg, and you have to click through a few pages to get to the actual down load.

FILE 1: Recorded with no presets for comparison. Factory default.

http://files.filefront.com/inside_fa.../fileinfo.html

FILE 2: Recorded with your configuration from the first post. It is labeled as preset A.

http://files.filefront.com/inside_pr.../fileinfo.html

FILE 3: Recorded with a preset I've been toying with for a couple of months. It is labeled as preset B. The settings are listed below.

http://files.filefront.com/inside_pr.../fileinfo.html

XL2 preset
Gamma: Cine
Knee: Low
Black: Press
Color Matrix: Cine
Color Gain: +2
Color Phase: +2
Red Gain: +1
Green Gain: 0
Blue Gain: +3
V Detail: Low
Sharpness: -4
Coring: 0
Setup Level: 0
Master Ped: -3
NR: Off
Old April 16th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Brian,

Great preset. I have all 3 open at the same time, and paused at the same section, so I can compare directly.

At first glance, my preset is the most stylized, while yours is the most natural. The default looks a little bland, and although it looks to have good latitude, the highs are already blown out (the clowns face.)

For the specific shot you did (products), I like mine the most because it's eye catching. However, if there were a person's face in there, yours would be the best. Notice the color of the wood cylinders. Yours looks the best and your preset would be great for skin tones.

The other thing I notice is that I don't see a difference between my -6 and your -3 Master Pedestal settings. I think this has to do with the Cine gamma starting at a lower point than the Normal setting.

The challenge is going to be getting a stylized, rich, contrasty look while still keeping the skin tones looking natural. Perhaps playing with the RGB gain controls will help in this.

Anyway, great job. I appreciate your help a lot.
Javier Urena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders