Please post a screen grab using this Preset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Please post a screen grab using this Preset

Hello everyone,

I do not own an XL2 but I've rented one for use on a short film I wrote and directed. I also have experience with and love the Panasonic DVX100 (we chose the XL2 for it's low light capability.)

I'm trying to decide on which camera to use for the next project and need a little help. I'd like to see a screen grab taken with the following preset, which I believe to be the most contrasty settings. I want to keep the post-production tweaking to a minimum and want a very contrasty look. I know I can achieve this with a DVX100, but I'd like to see if the XL2 can too. I'm hoping to be convinced to go with the XL2.

Here's the preset:

Gamma = Normal
Knee = High
Black = Press
NR = Off
VDetail = Thin
Color Matrix = Cine
Color Gain = 6
Color Phase = 0
Red = 0
Green = 0
Blue = 0
SetupLevel = 0
Sharpness = -3
Coring = 6
MasterPed = -6

Please set gain at -3.

I think lowering the set-up level might give more contrast, but it would also require much more light, so I've kept it at 0. If you get better results with the set up level lowered, please post your findings.

Thank you.
Javier Urena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #2
Major Player

No offence, but the DVX has far superior low-light abilities. It might get grainy, but at least an image registers! The XL2's achilies heel is it's low-light performance. Kinda sad actually.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If I would make a movie with one of the two, I would want the cleanest signal, and that's from the XL2.
But others have different opinions...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Not Badmouthing XL2! I love mine. Just saying it's lowlight is a bit rough...
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The XL2 is an awesome low light performer... I am not sure exactly where you coming from here, Matthew. Could you go into a bit more depth?

:)
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #6
Major Player

I have to agree - the XL2's lowlight capability is great but I use both on a regular basis and I'd say in terms of low light capability, they're both very similar.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

To clear up, I shot with gain at 12db. on a dvx100 with gain setting of 12db the high noise makes the footage practically useless. However, the noise reduction on the XL2 did a great job, and even having it set at HIGH, there was no ghosting in our project.

Now, can we please get back to the subject of this thread?
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Sorry to thread Jack, Just saying I have used an XL2 and DVX side by side at 12db in low-light conditions, at 24p, and the XL2 is a cleaner signal, but still darker. In some conditions when noise isn't an issue, but an image registering at all, I perfer the DVX. However, I love my XL2 and if I really wanted low light, I would go for a PD 170 (0 LUX!)

Anyhoo, back to subject. Any particular reason you don't give it a try yourself? Do you own an XL2? What lighting conditions do you want the shot under?
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
Sorry to thread Jack, Just saying I have used an XL2 and DVX side by side at 12db in low-light conditions, at 24p, and the XL2 is a cleaner signal, but still darker. In some conditions when noise isn't an issue, but an image registering at all, I perfer the DVX. However, I love my XL2 and if I really wanted low light, I would go for a PD 170 (0 LUX!)

Anyhoo, back to subject. Any particular reason you don't give it a try yourself? Do you own an XL2? What lighting conditions do you want the shot under?
Thank you. I wrote in the original post that I do not own an XL2. That is why I'm asking for help here.

I don't care what kind of lighting conditions are used. I think everyone can see where the contrast comes from the camera and not the light source, especially if 2 images are posted: 1 with settings at default and 1 with the contrasty preset.

Anyone care to help?
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #10
Major Player

Sorry, Missed that
I'll try and get around to it tonite.

Matt
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hello Javier,

Here's a link to a QuickTime .mov shot with the preset information you listed in the first post. Sorry, it was very cloudy this afternoon, so the lighting is not great. The compression is motion.jpg. I just reread your post about a comparison with the default settings. Unfortunately, I did not shoot any other footage with the default settings.

http://files.filefront.com/javier_cu.../fileinfo.html

You have to go through a few pages to get to the actual download. This is the first time I've used this hosting site, so I hope it works.
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Brian,
Thank you very much. That footage looks great. I especially like the highlights in the blurred background.

What do you think of it?
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Javier,

Thanks, I had hoped we would have had less clouds yesterday, but oh well.

If you can wait another day or two, I will post a couple of more clips for you to see.
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thank you Brian. Since the flat lighting makes it hard to see the contrast, I would love to see some other footage if you have the chance.

I really appreciate your help.
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #15
Inner Circle

preset

javier,

I went to brians site and down loaded the clip. I like the Look and I will load that in my xl2 tomarrow and shoot some footage up here in the north where nothing is green yet!!
I do not have a way of posting it but I will get back to you about it!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders