Lens question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 11th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lens question

Being relatively new to this and all I have a question about the XL2 (XL series as whole I suppose) and how the zooming function works. Looking at ENG style cameras and their lenses the hand grip it connected to the lens which has the zoom mechanism in it and work on the geared lens.

But how does the XL series zoom? Is there a small motor inside that adjusts the glass for the zoom or what?

Thanks in advance
Andrew Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farrell
Being relatively new to this and all I have a question about the XL2 (XL series as whole I suppose) and how the zooming function works. Looking at ENG style cameras and their lenses the hand grip it connected to the lens which has the zoom mechanism in it and work on the geared lens.

But how does the XL series zoom? Is there a small motor inside that adjusts the glass for the zoom or what?

Thanks in advance
Andrew,

Your are exactly right. The zoom and focus are both controlled by servo motors. The external rings for each simply activate the motor, no direct control. There are manual lenses like the 14x and 16x that allow manual control. You do give up the image stabilation with the manual lenses, and the IS in the Canon lenses is great! There is always a trade-off.

Mike
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #3
Major Player

I thought manual 16X had IS, no autofocus
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #4
Trustee

No Matthew, the Canon 16X Manual Servo lens has no IS. The only lenses that have IS are the two earlier white 16X autofocus lenses, the 20X cream lens made for the XL2, and the black 20X lens made for the H1. (All of these lenses can of course be used with any XL camcorder - XL1/1s/2/H1).
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #5
Trustee

No IS, no Autofocus, but you can activate the motorized zoom, and it have two built in ND filters.
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Most servo focus lenses require that you turn their rings above a certain speed to generate enough input to wake the motors up. Try it on your camera - on my Sonys if I manually zoom too slowly the focal length never changes a mm.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Good to know guys. Glad I never bought one... ok.. that's not true... but still... $2500, no IS? gah.

Anyhoo, who needs it. Have an M2! Or Letus!
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #8
Trustee

In my opinion, the 16X manual Servo lens is the very best lens in the XL line-up.
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Major Player

actually, the 16x lens is only $1300.00US if you get it from B&H, which is where I plan to get mine.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Khalil
actually, the 16x lens is only $1300.00US if you get it from B&H, which is where I plan to get mine.
...Or maybe even cheaper in Mint condition from DVi 'for sale' adverts, or a reputable seller on Ebay. The 14X manual lens often sells for even less.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders