Light for XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 21st, 2006, 03:37 AM   #1
Tourist

Light for XL2

Together with my Canon XL2 I bought the cheap Canon video light VL-10Li (10W). Although it is very easy to use (same batteries as XL2) and gives the right amount of light if is very distracting for people. Are there any other suggestions? Maybe something with LED lamps?
Leo Wauters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Leo,
Welcome to DVi. I also own the VL10i, but I find that I am very limited to what I can use it for because it is so freakin' bright. I think it illuminates near-field quite well, but I refer to it as my "COPS" light because everyone who stands in front of it looks just like a felon - as if I was filming an episode of COPS.

For some situations, I needed to look at getting some different on-camera lighting options so I also did some looking around. Choices vary widely depending upon your needs, prospective use, and budget.

The LED lights look great and I would love to have a setup with those, but they are currently out of my budget. DVeStore has an LED setup called Litepanels for sale on their site http://www.dvestore.com/ DVeStore is also a sponsor of this site and is a great vendor. There is a visual demonstration movie of the Litepanel product that you can view on their site.

The IDX light might be an option for you for some situations. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search (B&H is a very reputable sponsor of this site also). I don't know much about it in terms of effectiveness, but it is LED so it should be a cooler, long-lasting bulb. It includes a dimmer (0 - 100%), and it looks like a small form factor - but again, I haven't used this product. It was just slightly out of my budget.

I ended up recenty purchasing this Bescor on-camera light kit http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search from B&H. I love this light. It works great and was quite affordable for me. It includes a set of barn doors (which are debatable in terms of efficacy) and also has a dimmer switch (which I find to be a very important feature in terms of catering the amount of light to various uses.) The bulb does get a little toasty, but not bad - and certainly not nearly as scorching as my Cool-Lux (oddly named) light kit that I have to let cool down for 45 minutes before even touching it to pack away.

Also the electrolite battery on the Bescor kit can truly be a pain in the a**, but the price is right and the weight of the battery is compelling me to try to get back into shape. I added a Lumiquest diffuser to this and have been very happy with this light.

Hope this helps.
-Jon
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Try to put some sort of diffusion in front of the light. I am using a small square of frost gel velcroed in front of mine and it is really less annoying for the subjects.
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Tourist

Jon, thanks for your detailed reply! Difficult choice, but I still have some time because next wedding is only in a few months.

Jean-Philippes, doesn't the gel remove a lot of light?
Leo Wauters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:52 AM   #5
Trustee

I use a Frezzi "mini fill" 50 watt with a dimmer. I also sprang for the softbox. The whole rig was expensive, but plenty of light and very versatile...I use it all the time.
I power it off of my Anton Bauer Dionic 90, which also powers the XL2 and my FS 4 hard drive. If I'm going to be using my Frezzi a lot, I'll use the Canon batteries for the camera, and the AB for the rest.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Pag Lights

Hi there

I use Pag C6 dv fitted with a 20 Watt light bulb. Excellent for close work like interviews. Fit a 30 Watt bulb if you require that bit more power. Battery life using the 20 Watt bulb is about 2 1/2 hours. Light has its own diffuser and filter plus there are many optional filters that the light can take.
See for yourself:- http://www.paguk.com/c6/
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am new to all this, but would it not look better if the light were attached to a bendable arm, you know like those lamps used around the house?

This would attach to the camera and extend up and to the right or left of the subject. Then the light would look natural as if it were on a stand. Does anything like this exist yet?

I have actually been searching for something like it, because I plan to invent a unique portable light. Also I have been messing around with a way to get a bright light using only two AA or C batteries. It would run off said batteries for over 30 hours. I know it sounds impossible, but if I were to explain how then I give away the secret, hehe.

Anyways it would be easy to jerry rig such an arm device to attach to a camera this way the light is extended up and to the right or left of the subject.
Neil Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

arm light

Not sure if I explained the arm for the light well enough, so here is a quick picture. You know that bendable metal on desk lamps, if so that is what this is.

http://isor.white.prohosting.com/Images/xl2light.jpg

you might have to hit refresh after you click on the link to see the image.

Last edited by Neil Fontaine; April 24th, 2006 at 10:16 PM.
Neil Fontaine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders