What to do, what to do? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 24th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #16
New Boot

Made a decision

First thanks for the responses: Tony, Bob, Marko, and Neil, I was really second guessing myself until I read what you had to say. It reminded me of the goal for the year, to make a film. So Im going to have my old job get me the XL2. Connor, your the second person that has said the HVX is a better camera/value. But I cant afford to spend all of the money on just a camera. So now Im trying to get as much equipment as possible with the rest of the money, this is were I am at, tell me what you think.

- 3519.00 XL2 (discount) - Canon
499.00 40gb Firestore - Canon
200.00 100gb hard drive (to upgrade firestore with) - probably newegg
103.00 external battery pack (firestore) - Battery space.com
258.90 Porta brace CTC-3 case - B&H
100.00 2 used iRiver 895 mp3 player (use as wireless mics) - ebay
164.90 JVC shot gun mic (will trade for audio tech AT897) - B&H
*670.10 Bogen 3182 - B&H (is there something better within price range)
*180.00 2 BP 945 batteries - Canon
*127.00 CH 910 Dual Charger/holder - Canon
--------
1178.10 left

*items Im not sure about. Is there a better tripod setup within the 700.00 price range. Also, Im thinking I would prefer longer life camera batteries that can also power a camera light and shot gun mic. Is there a cheaper alternative to AB stuff. What is a good on camera light (for the wedding reception), what a good stabilizer for the XL2. In general If there is better/wiser equipment to by around the XL2, let me know. Most of the things I chose were for the intention of using for weddings. Thought I plan on using the firestore for my film. thanks again, this site is awsome, I'm learning so much just reading these threads.
Also, I need to start connecting with prospective Dps, casting directors, and editors. The goal is to shoot a very low budget movie around the end of the year, The story is a cross between Drugs Store Cowboy and The Outsiders, if anyone has a serious interest let me know.
Ruben

Mathew,
I had a 67 fastback that got side swiped by some idiot in a hurry to a dodger game in 2000. thinking I could recoup some of my money I bought a 68 coupe body and started putting the useable parts in from the 67. But as I was getting into it I decided to restore the car the best that I could for the experience. I knew I would lose money on the car so I did everything myself to save some money. (except painting exterior and engine work) So the car has no sentimental value to me, but I would like to use it in my movie. Anyway the car's value is from 8,000 to 10,000 if I want to sell it quickly, which I do. I put about 12,000 into it not including all my time. The car is NOT stock, does not have matching numbers/papers and all the other stuff that would raise its value, but its a good bang for the buck car that looks tuff and has about 100 more horse power than a stock 289 does.

The car was a straight six, I put a 302 HiPo engine from an 1986 GT, heads
are from a 65 289 (more compression).
I put front disk brakes from a 67 Granada, (new power boster and pedal are
from a 67)
Replaced/rebuilt all the other engine components (starter, 4 brl carb, electric
dist, power stearing etc..)
Replaced all front suspension, put in larger rear end, new dual exhaust.
Replaced/refurbished all interior parts, added six disk changer with a four
speaker set up. The car is painted midnight blue. Though the paint is not a
clear coat, the guy (was related to my friend, ripped me off, long story
about drugs) who painted the car used a polyurethane instead. And Im not
going to lie to a prospective buyer about that or the blend of parts that I
used. So thats why its not worth more, because its not stock. If someone
can explain to me how I can link some pictures here I will. Is there a perticular year that you prefer. My dream car is the 67 fastback which I had and will have again.
Oh and if some one can explain to me also how to link this short Im almost finished wish to here. Its a cheesy spoof on evil dead and friday the 13th that includes sponge bob square pants. Its was suppose to be a 5 min. deal, but turned into a 45 min cheesy fake looking attack of the killer tomatos thing.
later
Ruben
Ruben Mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #17
Trustee

I've found that good quality radio/wireless mics are very important...don't try and cut corners with these items or audio quality will suffer. I now use the Sony 800 Freedom (805 WRT & 805 WRR) series (superb!), but the Sony UWP and Senhiesser radio systems are also quite good.

The 20X lens image stabiliser will help in a lot of situations during shoulder shooting, but a good quality tripod is also a must-have item, so make sure that the one you choose is rock solid (generally the heavier the tripod and head, the steadier the tripod) - search Ebay for high-end used tripods at good prices. A panhandle remote control is also vital (I use the Manfrotto/Bogen 522C version).
Old April 24th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
Ash did you use a XL2 for "Strong Enough to Break"? I watch it at your website. It looks good.

No, that was shot on a hodge-podge, most of the time I shot with an XL1s but there is also some TRV-900, 1CCD stuff, etc. in there. Due to the nature of the doc I only shot about 2/3rds of the stuff, the rest was various people I had take a camera into a restaurant, meeting, etc. places where it was not appropriate/comfortable to have a shooter.

All that being said, even though it is ALL 60i, I have yet to hear a single, "it looks too video" comment.

ash =o)

PS looks like I am very close to distribution, some theaters, then IFC/HBO, then DVD by early Sept.
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Ash,
I too am very interested in seeing your comparison footage with the Instant HD. I am trying to find as much info about the real world use of the Instant HD program.
Brian K Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #20
Major Player

I might suggest that the 3X lens is indespensible, as the 20X is not nearly wide enough in many cases.

As for the car, sounds really interesting. I can see how if it's pretty much just a mustang body, it could go for $10,000. I would love to see some pics. I myself have always wanted a 67 fastback, but my dream car is a 1967 Shelby Cobra with the passenger seat molded over into the body and a single roll bar behind the driver.
Silver, white stripe. Saw one once, fell in love.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #21
Trustee

I used the InstantHD for some XL2 b-roll insert shots and it worked flawlessly. They were upped to 720p and dumped to DVCproHD tapes. I will post something in the next couple weeks.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #22
New Boot

Hey Reuben,
If you decide to go the feature route I offer my and my XL2 package's services.
Good Luck,
-Hunter
Hunter Sandison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders