What to do, what to do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:21 AM   #1
New Boot

What to do, what to do?

Okay had my job in (November 2005) lay me off so I could roll the dice and
write/shoot a 15 to 20 thousand dollar film by the end of this year. (I'm selling my just restored 68 mustang and WAS willing to use a 10,000 credit card that I have) Everythings cool except some work fell on my lap (promo video, weddings) that unexpectedly netted me $ 7,000. And now that I know I can earn a decent living doing weddings/promo videos. Im struggling with my instincts which say "still take a chance, or you'll regret it later. While my brain says "stupid, this money fell on your lap now be smart and use it wisely. So I would like to try and purchase equipment and a camera that I could use for both situations. I have changed my thinking from just taking a BIG risk to being some what more resonable, where in lies my confusion, on most forums everyone says for weddings (low light conditions use a vx2100, not an XL2. I need an honest answer to this question, will the XL2 do a good enough job (where the average customer will be satisfied) in these low light conditions. (I know it cannot compare to vx2100 in low light conditions, the guys at samy's camera made that clear to me.) This will help me decide which route to go.

Use this 7,000 to:

1. Go the safe route and use this money to buy starter equipment best suited for doing weddings (vx2100, beachtech, fire store, wireless mics, shot gun, 30 - 50 watt light etc...) and use this time to build up a client base for next year. (And go with my plan to sell my mustang and if need be use my credit card to shoot the movie)

2. Buy an XL2 and put the rest of the money towards the movie, with the 8 to 10 grand I will get from selling the mustang. (Forget about venturing into the wedding market)

3. Buy an XL2 and use the rest of the money for equipment specifically needed to shoot weddings with. (Then I can build up a client base for next year) And go with my plan to sell my mustang and if need be use my credit card to shoot the movie.

Also, I dont want to go the hd route, or buy a dvx100. I want the canon so I cant use a mini 35 + better lenses. I must make a decision before June, the company which owes me the money (my old job) new fiscal year starts then. They are willing to purchase the equipment for me (they get a school discount) or pay me out.

Sorry for the run on sentences, I know this is more than just a technical question. I just need some advice and sometimes its better to get it from people who are not in your cirlce of friends.

thanks.
Ruben Mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:58 AM   #2
Trustee

The end choice is always yours, Ruben; but if it were my own choice I'd buy the XL2 and use it for the promos/weddings etc and slowly add extra kit as the money becomes available for use in the main film project. Both models are capable cameras, but I feel that the XL2 will offer far more options to add different lenses etc and control during the 'major' film, and it will also deliver superb results - even during low light levels - for the wedding shoots if you use it correctly.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Major Player

I'll trade you my $20,000 XL2 package for a mint condition 68 mustang... :P

Dude, I would keep the car and buy a cheaper camera!
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:10 AM   #4
Wrangler

Plus, you can get good used XL-2 cameras without having to swallow a large price tag.

Mine may be up for sale soon. I am trying to determine whether I want to start shooting HD just yet. Attending the Texas HD Shootout didn't help cause I got to work with some awesome camera gear and am getting more tempted.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Go with the XL2 and do some wedding on the side.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I won't tell you what to do, but I'll share my previus dillemas.

Started doing weddings with an XM2 and after some time decided it's time to get a 2nd camera.
I was not pleased with the XM2 lowlight performance so I was in a doubt:
- go with the Sony's proved lowlight performance or go with the XL2's proved best MiniDv performance, manual controls and great optical stabilisation.

After reading tons of posts on this great forum, I went with the XL2 and I'm very pleased I did.
The XL2 performs very nice in lowlight, you just have to study it's controls and manual presets.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Major Player

What kind of shape is your mustang in that yo uwould sell it for $8000?
Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

It's funny, more people here seem to be interested in the Mustang then in the original dillemma :-D
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 03:05 PM   #9
Major Player

Well, being an autophile, a 67 Mustang is something very dear to my heart.

However, so is the Canon XL2. Therefore... both in one topic, Aye Carumba!
Old April 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM   #10
New Boot

You can get a Panasonic HVX200 with a 120GB harddrive for $6,500 - $7,000

This would give you a far superior camera to the Canon, and features like variable framerates, etc..., I mean just look at this sample HVX footage and THEN tell me you still want a Canon...

http://motivitypictures.com/hvx200/m..._snow_day.html

::: Connor
Connor Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 04:13 PM   #11
Trustee

HVX is indeed HD but it is not a HUGE difference from an XL2 and there are other factors. The cost is more than double and the workflow will be more expensive once you add reliable redundant back-ups, something you HAVE to do to work professionally and safely. Prolly looking at a $10k investment.

When I am done with this project I am working on I will post some XL2 footage I cut into Varicam and HVX footage, you will be pretty stunned how well it holds up. I didnt use anything fancy, just intantHD...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:25 PM   #12
Inner Circle

comparison

Ash,

I am truly looking forward to the comparison footage you talk of!!!

Can't wait!

Thanks in advance!!!
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:26 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Roberts
You can get a Panasonic HVX200 with a 120GB harddrive for $6,500 - $7,000

This would give you a far superior camera to the Canon, and features like variable framerates, etc..., I mean just look at this sample HVX footage and THEN tell me you still want a Canon...

http://motivitypictures.com/hvx200/m..._snow_day.html

::: Connor
very nice footage
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:32 PM   #14
Major Player

Ash did you use a XL2 for "Strong Enough to Break"? I watch it at your website. It looks good.
Old April 24th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #15
Regular Crew

re

Wow! That HVX200 footage looks awsome. I am truely impressed.

I would recomended taking the safe road. Sooner or later you will get the money to make the movie. If you take a big chance you will be left with camera equipement, that sould be able to film weddings. I mean if you can shoot a film with it why not weddings?
Neil Fontaine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders