XL2 main fuse blown -- FU-1000 culprit! - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 24th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #106
Major Player

I had a fuse in my PDX-10 blow. According to the service manual, there are about 4 microfuses, directly soldered to the circuit board.

Supposedly, they are designed to protect the device from faulty batteries putting out too much power.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #107
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Hoffmann
Greg, you are right. The person you mentioned is me.
Thank you Rainer for helping out my memory. ;-)

Apparently this b/w viewfinder problem doesn't apply to Kalil since he says he isn't using the FU-1000.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #108
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Thank you Rainer for helping out my memory. ;-)
You are welcome, Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Apparently this b/w viewfinder problem doesn't apply to Kalil since he says he isn't using the FU-1000.

-gb-
Yes, and that scares me. So a faulty FU-1000 wiring is not the only source of the problem. Well, let's hope the best.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #109
Inner Circle

I was one of the first with this problem, and had a LOOONG and sordid runaround, finally resulting in a replaced camera. I shoot with the FU-1000

Short version is this.

The camera was working on a documentary shoot. I put it in 'standby' and moved to a new location. Went to take it out of 'standby' and it was dead. Zip, zilch, nada... with the cassette inside.

Shipped it to canon. They claimed the fuse was blown, because I had MISTHREADED the lens, damaging the lens mount, and blowing the fuse. I argued, but to no avail. I paid $670 to have the ccd block remounted and the fuse replaced.

I received the camera.

I was reading this board, and someone asked a question about the FU-1000 viewfinder. To answer the question, I pluged in the camera w/viewfinder, and powered it up. (NO LENS MOUNTED ON IT AT ALL). I looked in the viewfinder, typed my answer on the board, and then the camera was dead.

Two days after it had been returned.

I sent the camera BACK. Spoke with the Canon rep. He said the replaced the fuse again, that there was a "KNOWN ISSUE" with some of the viewfinders. And they would send the camera back. I told them that was unacceptable, that I couldn't rely on that camera any more.

My dealer (God bless him) stepped in, and got me a new camera.

I don't know if they 'rewired' the fu-1000, upgraded the fuses or what. But I have had no problems with the fuse since, and I've had the cam for two years now. (Knock wood.)

And yes, I ALWAYS power down before changing lenses, etc.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #110
Regular Crew

Boy, this is like a reunion of sorts... There's all sorts of things you can do to set off the fuse. I did mine when plugging it into (I think) a faulty 1394 port on my computer. Pfft... camera stopped working.

While there's a bunch of us on this board who have had problems, I think most of us (with the exception of Richard) have had the problem quickly fixed by Canon.

I guess "quickly" is a relative term, and could be a little longer from Afghanistan, than, say, Seattle.

Since I had my cam fixed, I only let it touch the computer when uploading blue barn presets into the cam, and am very careful with lens changes, or anything slightly sensitive...

Bill
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #111
Major Player

My XL2 Blew on a shoot.

FU-1000
16x Manual lens
It happened Xmas Day on a shoot.
Boy. That was a Kicker.

It's in the shop now. I'll report back how much it's going to run me and what they say. The initial cost they put down as $499 or sommat to fix it. I wonder if that'll go up or down.

JT
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #112
Major Player

They charged me $430 after taxes to fix the blown board/fuse and the fu-1000 took no repair costs, but they replaced the microphone holder for free.

The price is dropping - as the camera fades into the sunset :)
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #113
Inner Circle

Good evening,

My fu 1000 came slightly unplugged lifting it in and out of the truck, ushed it back in and bang, end of fuse!!

I recomend using a tye rap around the cord and handle to prevent it!!!

Cost me 407.00 to get it fixed!!!!

thats pretty steep to change a fuse!!!

it is a great view finder, just be careful!!!
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #114
New Boot

My XL2 died last week. Unfortunately I lent it out to a friend so I do not know 100% what led up to it.

I took it into a 3rd party repairer and they confirmed the fuse was blown but also a number of components in the internal power supply section were obviously damaged and needed to be replaced including a coil/inductor that was obviously to the eye that it was blown.

I have not seen the camera yet but the repairer says that it is showing too much green in recordings when white balance is set to auto but is better when the fluro or incandescent preset is selected.

As I said, I was not there when it failed and can only state that it was running on batteries and had possibly just had the 3X lens swapped over but the user states the power was off.

I will report further findings after testing.
Peter James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders