Firewire Port Bad - How Long for Repair? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 28th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Firewire Port Bad - How Long for Repair?

Hi all!

After reading some of the recent posts, and doing a forum search, I now know why my firewire port has not been functioning as of late. I suspect it has been fried like so many others have reported. I assume my only choice is to send it in to Canon? How long do repairs normally take? FWIW I will be sending to the Irvine, California repair center if I have to send it in.

THANKS!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Connectivity loss is common after software upgrades on the Mac plaform. What platform r u using?
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Canon Repair

I recently sent my XL2 in for warranty. If it is in warranty, and they keep it more than 10 days or 2 weeks (can't remember exactly) then they will supply you with a loaner from a local dealer. So not too bad.

If I were you I would check my XL2 on a second system to be sure it is not a problem with your system. Also, your local dealer may be able to check it out for your, before you send it in for warranty.

BTW, I don't think that the Canon firewire port is especially sensitive. I've blown the firewire port on some audio equipment I own. Almost all manufacturers (if not all) ask you to connect while the equipment is off. Even though the firewire spec allows for "hot swapping".

Many different device manufacturers may be using the same engineering design for their port or they may be buying the same set of components from a supplier that has already engineered a modular solution.

Firewire is much flakier than USB but when it's working it works better.

- Jesse
Jesse Redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #4
New Boot

Canon Repair

Join XL owners club . Then you get a 5 day turn arround
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the replies.

I'm on a PC system (also have an older Mac Avid system, but no firewire there).

I am a member of the Canon XL owners club, so that's very good news.

I will try it on another system. It did work fine a few weeks ago when I was on a shoot with a DV Rack system (not mine). So maybe something has changed on my PC (who woulda thunk it?)

THANKS!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Let us know how you come out.

- Jesse
Jesse Redman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders