DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Seminar Shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/66303-seminar-shoot.html)

Sam Sutch April 30th, 2006 03:22 PM

Seminar Shoot

Hello guys, first post here, glad to become a member of your great community!

I have volunteered to shoot a seminar on fishing for a gentleman locally. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but it should at least help fund more exciting projects in the future. I will also be going out on a boat (big boat, Flathead lake), to film further instructions and for some general footage for the DVD that I'll be creating when this is all done with.

Now, I'm not too worried about filming on the boat, I'm used to shooting high-action things, stuff with a lot of movement both with the subjects and the camera. What I am worried about, and would appreciate advice with is shooting the seminar. I need it to look professional because this guy plans to sell the DVD in sporting goods stores around Montana. I'm wondering what some of you guys do when at a seminar. Would I want to just set the XL2 on a tripod and just follow him around? Re: High action things, I don't even have a tripod! Eek! I also need to, for the first time, have a lavalier mic system that will be portable. So I'm kind of overwhelmed, or maybe I'm just worrying too much.

I'm also wondering what you guys recommend for a lavalier mic system (wireless, portable, receiver mountable on camera) and a tripod that quite honestly won't see too much use because I usually *have* to hold the camera (but sometimes I'm criticised for it ;).

Thanks!
-Sam

Andrew Khalil April 30th, 2006 03:43 PM

Is this seminar going to be an event in front of a bunch of people that can't be repeated or will you be working with him and doing this specifically for the DVD?

If it's a live event, I would strongly recommend a second camera just getting a wide shot of the area he'll be in (don't know exactly what will be going on - more detail would help) and the second one can be used for a closer shot or for closups of the equipment or points of interest as he speaks about them.

If you can get him to start and stop, I would shoot the seminar several times getting different/interesting angles each time to prevent it from getting boring.

For a wireless lav system, go with a Sennheiser set - I use them all the time and they're great. For a tripod, a Manfrotto 525 and 503 head would be a good start, but there are lots of other options depending on budget.

hope this helps

Sam Sutch April 30th, 2006 03:50 PM

Thanks, Andrew. I have around $1000 to spend on this but it's flexible.

This will be a live event. I am organizing for a friend to come out and set up a static shot and he will bring his own camera and tripod if everything works out right. Close up shots of equipment and such will be shot afterwards.

What Sennheiser model specifically do you recommend? I've never purchased anything like this before.

Thanks again,
-Sam

K. Forman April 30th, 2006 03:55 PM

I would put a wireless lapel mic on the speaker, and use the second camera for mostly b footage like audience reaction, questions, and different angles on the speaker himself. You are right in wanting to do the close up equipment shots afterwards, and concentrate on the speaker during the seminar.

Andrew Khalil April 30th, 2006 04:05 PM

I've had good luck with this set:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Sam Sutch April 30th, 2006 04:41 PM

Alright, thanks for the great advice so far.

Before I go spending three grand on equipment (new limit, ;), I want to check first. Will this mic system work with the XL2 (it will just hook up via the XLR inputs)? Also, for the 528/503 do I need to buy any adapters or will it hook right up to the XL2? With this purchase, I also want to buy a hard case. Does anyone have any suggestions for a case?

-Sam

Andrew Khalil April 30th, 2006 05:00 PM

yes, that mic system looks like it'll work quite nicely with the XL2. You won't need any adapters to mount the XL2 to the 503 head - should work right out of the box.

In terms of a hard case, I'm buying my XL2 next week and have been told the Pelican 1610 is a good case for it - hopefully someone who has used it can comment.

Sam Sutch April 30th, 2006 05:53 PM

Alright, thank you guys for your suggestions. I bought the below items with two day shipping so I have enough time to play with it between the time I get it and Friday, when the seminar is. I guess with those new mics I'll have to start making an online talk show akin to Diggnation or something. Anyway, I hope to be showing you guys a cool fishing video (as cool as they can get ;), soon!

Pelican PE1610FB (case)

Bogen/Manfrotto BO528XB3460 (528/503)

Porta Brace POTQ46 (tripod case)

Sennheiser SEEW100DDAK (dual lavalier mic system)

Holy crap! I Have enough for a mobile news crew now! Something to look into... but that's for another thread. 8)

-Sam

K. Forman April 30th, 2006 06:48 PM

Sam- How many people will actually be speaking? I think that kit is a bit of overkill. Most of the events I have done, usually there is one speaker, and possibly questions from the audience. In which case, a runner with the handheld would work. But, then you might want to run the mics through a P.A. system, depending on the size of the room...

Sam Sutch April 30th, 2006 07:07 PM

Just one person will be speaking at this one. My reasoning behind getting that setup was that I'll be doing some freelance stuff for news stations around here, and if that doesn't pan out I'll still use it, like I said for IPTV shows as well as my own movies where a lavalier mic would work. Mostly, though, for the IPTV shows. I figure, also, that such a setup will last longer and be better supported by the company that manufacturers it simply because to purchase one it becomes an /investment/ rather than an off-the-shelf type of unit.

K. Forman April 30th, 2006 07:11 PM

My only thought was, that you might only need to get one hand held, and one lapel. In which case, you can try the setup out, and expand a little later on. Just trying to help you keep your immediate overhead down :)

Sam Sutch May 4th, 2006 11:24 PM

Thanks again you guys for your advice.

Here is everything this far. It's not fully setup yet but next time I take a picture it will be. Everything works great. I just checked the link to the Sennheiser kit again, out of stock! Either I got the last set or I got it just in time! O_O

I do have another question, though. Does anyone know if I can get these mics to be stereo or at least spread the mono (channel four) across channel two and four (or is it three and four)? Currently when I hook a mic up to the 2/4 XLR connection I only hear the mic out of the right channel when I monitor it. Is there a way that anyone knows of that'll allow me to spread that over the two channels or maybe even hook up another mic to that xlr slot so I have two mics on the 2/4 connection and the front stereo mic? Or do I need that hot shoe expansion thing for that?

Thanks!
-Sam