DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   I need advice on purchasing a new camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/66764-i-need-advice-purchasing-new-camera.html)

Luke Springer May 5th, 2006 06:51 PM

I need advice on purchasing a new camera

Hello,
I am on a limited budget of absolutely no more than $4000. Should I buy an XL2 (which has native 16:9 chips, more pixels, and interchangeble lenses) and add things later as I get more experienced (I am fairly new to this), or a GL2 with accessories like an XLR adapter, tripod, glidecam stabilizer, shotgun mic, etc. I am open to other options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke

Chris Barcellos May 5th, 2006 08:19 PM

You got to consider the Sony FX1 and the A1, both well under your budget, both shoot native 16:9, and you can go HDV or DV SD.

Dave Perry May 5th, 2006 08:45 PM

I'd go with the A1U. It's smaller but has a fantastic image. Plus it's a true Pro camera supported and marketed under Sony's Pro Division. The FX1 is not.

I was at NAB this year and did a side by side comparison of the A1U and Z1 and was hard pressed to find any negative differences between the 2 camera's image quality.

I do like the XL2 but for the money, the A1U has my vote...and soon, my money :)

Luke Springer May 5th, 2006 10:23 PM

Thank you for your replies, I will look into the Sony's. If anyone else has any other ideas, I'd like to hear them,

Thanks,
Luke

Dale Guthormsen May 5th, 2006 11:00 PM

A thought

Luke,

First, before you jump into the high definition camera world you will have to remember that getting all the software and hardware to do the hd thing is going to require more money, and is your computer up to par for the bigger Job?. Also, if you don't have an hd tv you will not see anything better than good dv video. I recently stepped up from a gl2 to an xl2 and the other expenses outside just collecting up all the necessary kit made me lean away from the fx1. also I wanted more telephoto reach because I shoot sports and wildlife. It really is a big picture and it costs a lot of dollars to collect up the necessary gear.
Not meant to discourage but encourage to cover all your bases and make the best decision.

Sam Sutch May 5th, 2006 11:08 PM

I guess the most important question is what will you be doing with it, rather than *just* your budget. I use an XL2 and I love it. It's picture quality is amazing and you bet your ass you won't get the GL2 w/ all those accessories for ~four grand, but you will get a full XL2, which believe me, will knock your socks off (literally speaking) when you get it.

But most importantly, before I write three pages, what will you be using it for?

-Sam

P.S. Personally, HD seems like a bandwagon issue.. (flame on *wince*)

Luke Springer May 5th, 2006 11:18 PM

I don't plan on using the camera for anything specific, just short films in general. I want an "all-around" camera with mic inputs (XLR's) and I also want native 16:9 ccd's. I also like the fact that the XL2 has interchangeable lenses. Please, Sam and/or Dale, tell me the pros and cons of your XL2's. The only reason I was considering the GL2 is because I figured I would have leftover money for accessories, and it too is a great camera.

Thanks,
Luke

Chris Barcellos May 5th, 2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Springer
I don't plan on using the camera for anything specific, just short films in general. I want an "all-around" camera with mic inputs (XLR's) and I also want native 16:9 ccd's. I also like the fact that the XL2 has interchangeable lenses. Please, Sam and/or Dale, tell me the pros and cons of your XL2's. The only reason I was considering the GL2 is because I figured I would have leftover money for accessories, and it too is a great camera.

Thanks,
Luke

Sounds like you've made up your mind. But in case you are seriously considering something else--

1. XLR adapters are well excepted alternatives

2. Interchangeable lenses- I'm guessing 90% of Xl2 sold never see another lens.

Luke Springer May 5th, 2006 11:58 PM

Thank you very much for all of your replies, I still have a while to decide on the camera, but I think I am leaning towards the XL2,

Thanks,
Luke

Mike Teutsch May 6th, 2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Springer
Thank you very much for all of your replies, I still have a while to decide on the camera, but I think I am leaning towards the XL2,

Thanks,
Luke

Luke,

If you hurry, you can save $500.00 on the XL2. B&H has a special for NAB right now and the XL2 is $3,499 if you order it to day or tomorrow. The special ends the 7th. That is another $500 for accessories.

Mike

Sam Sutch May 6th, 2006 10:28 AM

Or even this. Edit: Just noticed it's PAL...possibly firmware hackable?

If you look around, you can get some amazing deals (though that one /was/ a showfloor model).

-Sam