What settings were used for this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What settings were used for this?

Hello,
Please check out this picture:

http://geocities.com/deep_space_hunter/

Does anyone know how this look was achieved? I really like how the sky is so dark and gray, but the grass is a bright gold color. I believe this was shot on an XL2.

Thanks,
Luke
Luke Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Just guessing, but it is possible the lighting was right with sun flooding in forground, and dark clouds in backgroung. Second possibility: gray day with flood light- and may gradient filter.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That is what I thought, but you would need to shoot when the conditions were just right. Thanks for the reply.

Luke
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Keep in mind you're looking at a still shot. It might look like its just amazing lighting when viewing that one frame, but if the clouds were causing the light/dark areas, which I think they probably are, then in the next couple of seconds the clouds could move causing the talent to be completely under-exposed. It's a pretty still though.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #5
Wrangler

Could also possibly be a graduated ND filter which darkens the sky and leaves the other part normal.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #6
Trustee

White balance to light blue, master pedestal down several notches, setup level down a notch or 2, cine gamma, color phase a couple toward green, color gain down a notch or two...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I've got the video up on the website. I apologize for the quality, geocities only allows 5Mb, so it has been compressed a lot, but you will get the idea.

http://geocities.com/deep_space_hunter/Video.html

Thanks,
Luke
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #8
Trustee

I still think that the cameraman was lucky with the light on that shot. There's probably some tweaking with settings in post as well, but nothing out of the ordinary...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

watched the video, wow boring, hehe.

It looks like the sky was over cast. This will still give you a blown out sky if the settings are not right. I think anytime you have the sky in your shot in the day time ND filters are used to help them look more rich in color and not so bright in the bighter parts. I do not have much experience but I study alot and that seems to be the case.
Neil Fontaine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders