Settings Request at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 77
Settings Request

Does anybody know what settings to use on the XL2 to recreate the look of 8mm film? I want to try and get the same kind of look that is used in the PBS TV show Globetrekker. They use this look for cutaways. Any pointers? Do I need to do it in post? I use FCE so any settings I need for post would need to be available in that.

TIA

Colin
Colin Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Jones
Does anybody know what settings to use on the XL2 to recreate the look of 8mm film? I want to try and get the same kind of look that is used in the PBS TV show Globetrekker. They use this look for cutaways. Any pointers? Do I need to do it in post? I use FCE so any settings I need for post would need to be available in that.

TIA

Colin
Don't know anything about the settings to use but IMHO that sort of thing is best left for post anyway. If you've recorded your camera original with any effects and later you find they just don't work as well as you thought they would, you're stuck up ye olde creek without a paddle. Adding them in post means you can always try something else if your initial ideas don't work out.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
Don't know anything about the settings to use but IMHO that sort of thing is best left for post anyway. If you've recorded your camera original with any effects and later you find they just don't work as well as you thought they would, you're stuck up ye olde creek without a paddle. Adding them in post means you can always try something else if your initial ideas don't work out.
I agree with you. I am not sure how I would recreate it in Post either so I was hoping to get some idea from the XL2 settings.
Colin Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,689
Send me a link to a grab or some footage and I will tell you the settings... I am thinking low shutter, high setup level, desaturated and noise... all that you CAN do in camera...



ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Send me a link to a grab or some footage and I will tell you the settings... I am thinking low shutter, high setup level, desaturated and noise... all that you CAN do in camera...



ash =o)

Hi Ash,

I will have to try and get a screen grab next time the show is on (Sat).
Basically the effect is oversaturated, darker, lower resolution and flickering, compared to the original.

Colin
Colin Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 77
Link to sample grab

I have placed a screen grab of the effect I am talking about at:

http://www.optikvervelabs.com/xl2/settings.jpg

I am looking to get that kind of look from either the XL2 or in post in FCE.

I am new to FCE so do not know enough yet to be able to recreate the look.

Thanks,

Colin
Colin Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,689
Try this...

Tiffen Black Pro Mist Filter
White Balance: WARM (use a light blue card to balance to)
Shutter speed: 1/24th (you might try shooting in 60i and going to 1/15th)
Gain: try experiementing to get some grain at +6db to +12db
This will give you a LOT of light that you will need to crush with either the ND filters or aperature.

Gamma = Cine
Knee = Low
Black = Press
NR = Off
VDetail = Normal
Color Matrix = Cine
Color Gain = +2
Color Phase = 0
Red = 0
Green = +3
Blue = 0
Sharpness = -6
Coring = -6
SetupLevel = -6
MasterPed = -6



ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 77
Thanks Ash,

I will give that a try. I assume the filter is to give the softer image without blooming the highlights,

Colin
Colin Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #9
Jubal 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 872
With a shutter speed of 1/24, you're going to lose a lot of the filmic flavor to the motion and it's going to look more like 30p. I wouldn't go any slower than 1/60.

Adjust your light intake accordingly.

If you want to do this in post, in general, you would increase your saturation and crush your blacks. The better way of crushing the blacks would be to use a color curve and adjust the RGB curve by flattening out the lower left corner.

Then add a little bit of film grain.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #10
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
With a shutter speed of 1/24, you're going to lose a lot of the filmic flavor to the motion and it's going to look more like 30p. I wouldn't go any slower than 1/60.

Adjust your light intake accordingly.

If you want to do this in post, in general, you would increase your saturation and crush your blacks. The better way of crushing the blacks would be to use a color curve and adjust the RGB curve by flattening out the lower left corner.

Then add a little bit of film grain.
He wants the look of 8mm footage... 1/60th wont get close and would make no sense if he was shooting in 24p anyway. The standard shutter is 1/48th, not sure where you are getting 1/60th. A 1/24th shutter in 24P wont look anything like 30p... it actually adds MORE motion blur where 30p would add less. The lower the shutter the more blur in motion, emulating the slow shutter of old 8mm footage. It is a lot harder to create motion effects in post... if you are going to be editing in DV it is best to get as close to your final image in camera as you can... if you are editing uncompressed, it doesnt matter as much.




ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #11
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Jones
Thanks Ash,

I will give that a try. I assume the filter is to give the softer image without blooming the highlights,

Colin
Yes that filter will help it look a little more film-like, add some diffusion and take off the digital edge.



ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 55
To add to the film-like effects from the good advice of Ash et al., QuickTime Pro ($30) will allow you to easily add other ‘film artifacts’.

Sliders for ‘Hairs and scratches’ and ‘Dust and Film Fading’ can be found under Export [to QuickTime] -> Options -> Movie Settings -> [video] Filter -> Special Effects -> Film noise. Other effects available are Color Style, Color Tint and Lens Flare.
Ken E. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #13
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. Williams
To add to the film-like effects from the good advice of Ash et al., QuickTime Pro ($30) will allow you to easily add other ‘film artifacts’.

Sliders for ‘Hairs and scratches’ and ‘Dust and Film Fading’ can be found under Export [to QuickTime] -> Options -> Movie Settings -> [video] Filter -> Special Effects -> Film noise. Other effects available are Color Style, Color Tint and Lens Flare.
I have QT Pro so I will try that too. I seem to remember that when I exported from from QT Pro before, it screwed up the aspect ratio flag (I assume there must be a flag) causing the 16:9 to become 4:3 when cut to a DVD set at 16:9.
Any ideas on what settings to use to avoid this? I use iDVD to burn DVDs.

Colin
Colin Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #14
Jubal 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
He wants the look of 8mm footage... 1/60th wont get close and would make no sense if he was shooting in 24p anyway. The standard shutter is 1/48th, not sure where you are getting 1/60th. A 1/24th shutter in 24P wont look anything like 30p... it actually adds MORE motion blur where 30p would add less. The lower the shutter the more blur in motion, emulating the slow shutter of old 8mm footage. It is a lot harder to create motion effects in post... if you are going to be editing in DV it is best to get as close to your final image in camera as you can... if you are editing uncompressed, it doesnt matter as much.
An equivalent to a 24p 1/24 shutter doesn't exist in the film camera world, because it means that the camera's "eye" is always open. That's impossible in a film camera, because there needs to be time in between frames to advance the film from one frame to the next.

A 1/24 shutter in 24p loses a great deal of film-like motion precisely BECAUSE of the motion blur. There needs to be a slight stutter between frames, because film ALWAYS has it and it's physicaly impossible for it not to.

While it's certainly subject to personal taste, a 1/60 shutter produces a very pleasing film motion cadence. You could go as slow as 1/48, but I surely would not recommend anything any slower if you want to keep a filmic motion cadence.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #15
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
An equivalent to a 24p 1/24 shutter doesn't exist in the film camera world, because it means that the camera's "eye" is always open. That's impossible in a film camera, because there needs to be time in between frames to advance the film from one frame to the next.

A 1/24 shutter in 24p loses a great deal of film-like motion precisely BECAUSE of the motion blur. There needs to be a slight stutter between frames, because film ALWAYS has it and it's physicaly impossible for it not to.

While it's certainly subject to personal taste, a 1/60 shutter produces a very pleasing film motion cadence. You could go as slow as 1/48, but I surely would not recommend anything any slower if you want to keep a filmic motion cadence.
What shutter speed would you suggest to recreate early hand cranked movie cameras? Surely that would be a lot slower than 1/60. Then in post increase the frame rate a lttle to get that Keystone Kops look. No?

Colin
Colin Jones is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network