XL2 and EF Lens Adapter / EF Lenses / EOS Lens - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:09 AM   #76
Major Player

Ok, thanks for the info. I think the 12-24mm Sigma would be a sweet lens for the EF adapter. It would be cool if Canon would update the EF adapter for EF-S lenses. That new 10-20mm EF-S would probably be pretty handy.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #77
Warden

They still end up being a telephoto.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:39 AM   #78
Trustee

Anyone remember what the factor is when using SLR lenses with the EF adapter?

Tony, you might want to know that. I thought it was around 1.5 so a 16mm SLR lens becomes a 24mm lens on the XL2?

I completely forget the conversion factor :(
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #79
Regular Crew

The crop factor is x7.8 using the XL2 at 16:9, so even at its widest (12mm), this lens will have the same angle of view as a 94mm lens on a 35mm SLR.

I'm really not sure there is any reason to use wide angle SLR lenses on an XL2 via the EF adapter.
Duncan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #80
Trustee

Wow, that's crazy! Now that I think about it, I think my rate factor was based on using 35mm SLR lenses on 35mm digital SLR's (not video cameras).
Old November 4th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #81
Warden

The crop or magnification factor is related to the size differences of the chips vs. 35mm film. Some dSLR's (Canon 10D, 20D) have a 1.6x factor and some (Nikon D100, D70) have a 1.5x factor. The Canon 1Ds and new 1DsMkII are 1:1, meaning the chip is the same size as 35mm film.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #82
Trustee

Now they just need to do that for video, (use 35mm size CCD's). Not for the added resolution, but for 35mm depth of field. Even a downsampled 35mm CCD image at 720x480 resolution would make me happy - currently I'm using the mini35 to optically reduce images from 35mm lenses to 1/3" CCD's.
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #83
Major Player

Can somebody tell me why the new conversion factor for the XL2 is 7.8 when the chip is the same size? The top and bottom have been deactivated, so it's like shooting in 16:9 mode on the XL1s because the width of the ccd is the same. I don't know why people use diagonals to calculate the angle of view if what they are really concerned with is the horizontal axis. If you put the same lens on the XL1s and the XL2 you'll get the same image in the XL2's viewfinder as you do between the 16:9 guides on the XL1s.

Also, like I pointed out a few weeks ago, Canon has removed any mention of a 7.8x conversion factor from their website. When the camera first came out they said it was 7.8 and told what the equivalent focal length of the new lens was, but that has all been removed for some reason. Perhaps they are reconsidering that.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #84
Regular Crew

XL2 + EF Adapter + Macro Lens

Has anybody tried the EF Adapter for Canon XL's? I wonder how it works if we attached a Canon Macro EF Lens onto the XL2 via this adapter. I know the focal length will be x7.2 or something but will it still perform to shoot macro?

Thanks.
Desmond Sukotjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #85
Regular Crew

On our PAL 4:3 aspect ratio the crop factor is 9.6.
I have tried the 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens today with the XL Adapter on the XL2. Focus is very, very critical, very, very short, but I did not try actual macro focussing, I'll do that tomorrow and I'll report back.
Old January 28th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #86
New Boot

XL2 EF Adapter

I have played around with EF adapter on my XL2.
Attached Canon 100-400mm F4 IS/USM and 600mm.
More of my work was with telephoto side. Concur
that focus is very short and critical. Sorry, have not
tried any sort of macro shot on this end.

-Terry

Surf Shooter Hawaii
Kapolei, Hawaii
http://www.surfshooterhawaii.com
Old January 28th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #87
Regular Crew

Thank You guys. Just want to make it clear. What you mean by focus is very short and critical, are you saying that the depth of field is very very shallow?

Nico, that's exactly the macro lens I have in mind 100mm f2.8 USM Macro. I'll be very excited waiting for your test result.

Thanks again.
Desmond Sukotjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #88
Regular Crew

Hi Desmond,

As it looked as if it was going to rain I conducted some tests in my study.

I mounted the XL2 on a sturdy Manfrotto tripod 055NAT2 equipped with a Manfrotto 516 head and I also attached the NebTek Panasonic 7” LCD monitor on the XL2 to facilitate manual focussing.

The camera lens and the target, a clock, were on a level plane.

As I did not know exactly where the focal plane is situated in the XL2, I measured the distance from the beginning of the lens housing on the body of the XL2 to the object when I obtained the sharpest and nearest focus. That was exactly 29cm at 1/6th of a second at f/8.00. The focus ring of lens was on the 1:1 mark. I have florescent lighting in my study.

Do not even try do use this lens on a XL2 without a tripod for macro work. It is almost impossible to focus it and holding it still.

The depth of field on that distance and exposure is less than the width of a hair! I could see the individual drops of paint on the clock with a number in focus but if you move the camcorder a fraction of a millimetre it is out of focus.
Old January 29th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #89
New Boot

XL2 EF Adapter

Desmond,

I've noticed focusing was fairly hard using my 100-400mm.
Not the greatest lens to be using with XL2 and shooting
surf. A very very stable platform is required. I noticed
a great deal of shake when zooming out on surfers.

Again, I was just playing around. I usually use standard
20X lens for shooting surf. It works fairly well for me.

If you didn't catch it on the board, I connected
my 600mm EF on my XL2. Shot the full moon
Chirstmas Day evening.

You can find clip on my video clip page:

http://www.surfshooterhawaii.com/video.html

Sorry I can't help you more. Sounds like Nico provided
you some great information.

Aloha,

-Terry
Old January 30th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #90
Regular Crew

Nico. Thanks a bunch for your info. I really appreciate it. That was really helpful.

Terence, when you attached your 600mm EF on your XL2 to shoot that moon, were you having problem with focusing as well or you put the camera on a tripod?

Thanks again guys.
Desmond Sukotjo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders