gl2 vs. xl2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 16th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #1
New Boot

gl2 vs. xl2?

So now I have swerved into filming the high school basketball games for the coaches so useing my zr100 just doesn"t look right. I would like to have a video camara that will do a great job without going to the HD side. (scared really)...so gentleman, I can do an xl2 but, if in your opinion a gl2 or something else would work better in the gym enviornment, I would like to hear.
Joe Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Are you going to be handheld most of the time or using a tripod most of the time? If handheld... go for the GL2. Much more portable and easier to use that way. If on a tripod, the larger, heavier XL2 is the better choice. Welcome to DV Info Net,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree - the XL2 is awesome, but it can get heavy after a while so the GL2 may be better if you're running around a lot. However, on the other hand, the XL2 has a much nicer stabilizer to compensate for that, so it may end up being the better choice - you do get used to the weight after a while.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

The stabilisation technology inside the GL2 and XL2 are both Optical (OIS). They each use a different variant of OIS but it's hard for me to discern any significant difference between the two of them.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Are you going to be handheld most of the time or using a tripod most of the time? If handheld... go for the GL2. Much more portable and easier to use that way. If on a tripod, the larger, heavier XL2 is the better choice. Welcome to DV Info Net,
Thanks for the timely response Chris and high 5's on this sight. Tripod yes, and the coaches always want a high view so they can see the lanes open up. What about the low light that exists in the gym, don't know if the gl2 can handle it. I read something about the vx2100 doing a better job cause of something with a (1/3) apposed to a (1/4) chip or sensor or something? Might be wrong on the vx number
thanks joe
Joe Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Major Player

If low light is important, the larger CCDs in the XL2 will be helpful.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Trustee

Hi Joe, and welcome to the forums.

I tend to think that for your stated purpose, either one of these cams would certainly provide great service, and I don't really think the gym lighting is going to be much of an issue - it will be different lighting than many other environments, and lower than some - but there are many things you can do in-cam to rectify this and get great exposure. It has been a while since I used a GL2 and I currently don't own one, but I have the XL2 and enjoy the degree of control over many factors...although some of them may not be of necessity for your purposes.

Both cameras offer great glass and very nice OIS. I absolutely love the lens on the XL2. Although both cams have 20x optical zoom, the XL2 uses 72mm so I guess that lets in more light and consequently more natural imaging data to work with...therefore, better low-light performance than the GL2.

As far as weight....night and day. Once you get used to the form factor of the XL2, it feels fine, but after a while, your right arm and shoulder may be awfully sore, and thusly affect your ability to keep a steady arm. But the GL2 is much smaller and lighter....the problem with that being that because it is small, folks generally use the free-hand shooting style....this takes some practice with arm tucking, etc. to ensure steady shooting. If done well, you can shoot, and motion-follow for a good deal of time.

The XL2 comes with a shoulder pad on it, and I find it very nice in terms of very smooth shooting because of the added support.

Much of that is not going to be an issue if you will be on tripod most of the time.

What I use quite often is my XL2 with a tiffen steady stick. Combined with the stick, and the shoulder pad of the XL2, I can shoot for hours with smooth steady shots, yet be mobile enough to move around and follow the action quite alot (although not while walking as it is not a steadycam)...I just mean in terms of relocating my shooting position...something to consider if you think you will need to shoot from different positions of the gym without having to fold in and pack a tripod without getting in the way.

If you haven't yet had the opportunity to hold the XL2 and test its form factor for comfort, you are certainly welcome to come by and look at the one I have. I am just a short drive up the way from you (I'm in Windsor), and I don't know if anyone else locally has the XL2. There sure aren't any local shops that stock it.

The XL2 may be more than you will need, but familiarizing yourself with the feature set it offers over the GL2 will likely help you make your decision.

Let me know and I will send you my contact info.
-Jon
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #8
Trustee

The XL2 may be heavy for its class but I have been shooting a lot of Varicam lately with the full cine set-up and those rigs weigh as much as 4 XL2's!!! And yes, I am a handheld guy!

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:07 PM   #9
Inner Circle

gym shooting/gl2

Joe,

I shot Basketball with a gl2 this last season and I got lots of fine footage!! I love my gl2 and, It shoots fine in all but such poor light you really should not be shooting anyway.

I have had an xl2 for a couple months now and it has a huge learning curve to be certain!! This list has been a huge help for me!!!

I do not find holding the xl2 to be overly tiring and I shoot mostly hand held. I actually shake more with the gl2 and I have to be certain to brace my arms properly.

You will love either one!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders