DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Music Video and Short Movie for a week!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/68481-music-video-short-movie-week.html)

Michele Lombardo May 30th, 2006 12:34 PM

Music Video and Short Movie for a week!!!

Hi Everybody... it's a long time I didnt't write on my favourite forum!!!
I worked hard with my wonderfull XL2.
I post the links of two my productions; they are online on Yousendit and will be there for a week...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...F9391C0FBE3DEB

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...A0A6BD436B42FB

They are NO BUDGET productions, shooted in 25p widescreen.

I wait your critics.

Thanks everybody!!!

Henry Cho May 30th, 2006 02:00 PM

michele,

the stuff looks gorgeous. it's really great to see all the nice xl2 stuff put up these days.

thanks for sharing.

Mike Berlucchi May 30th, 2006 02:58 PM

That looks awesome what did you use for compression?

Michele Lombardo May 30th, 2006 03:09 PM

The versions you downloaded were encoded with Windows Media Video Codec 9.

Thanks

Guy Krenn May 30th, 2006 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michele Lombardo
Hi Everybody... it's a long time I didnt't write on my favourite forum!!!
I worked hard with my wonderfull XL2.
I post the links of two my productions; they are online on Yousendit and will be there for a week...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...F9391C0FBE3DEB

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...A0A6BD436B42FB

I wait your critics.

Thanks everybody!!!

Wow...what a beautiful look. That was shot in 24p?

If you don't mind sharing your secrets, how did you accomplish that greenish look for the train interior/exterior shots?

Good job!

Petri Flander May 30th, 2006 08:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks everybody!!!

Hi,

Here's some points and questions of the music one:

- First, Very good for a no-budget video!
- There was much rack-focus, did you use mini35 or was that done by regular 20x lens?
- On "dream shots" of that woman, was soft look from filter or done in post?
- As a film stock buff, i noticed some burned highlights (stage parts). Were they intentional or was XL-2's dynamics just pushed too far on these scenes?
- Did you use magic bullet or cinelook to finish the look?

Thanks for sharing this!

Cheers,

Petri

Dale Guthormsen May 30th, 2006 11:42 PM

Michele,

I very much enjoyed the music video (did not have time tonight for the short, will look at it tomarrow).

I liked almost all the lighting. The burnt grainy performer behind an object Was an alright effect but a bit to coarse for my preferences.

For zero budget I thought it was grand. I love the virtually black video with highlighted performer. Having such gorgeous women to be in it is rather grand too!

good Job!!!!

Michele Lombardo May 31st, 2006 01:10 AM

Thanks everybody!!

Petri, I used only Canon 20x and 3x lens, I shooted all with the minimum dof opening the iris the most possible. In the dream scenes I use a Tiffen soft FX filter and I add a Tinderbox diffusion fillter. The burnt/overexposed parts were quite wanted. And I used Magic Bullet to color correct the entire job.

Thanks

Michele Lombardo May 31st, 2006 01:15 AM

I don't know if someone has noticed that:

there are some blue screen shots, when the singer plays in slow motion (but the lips are in sync) behind him the drummer is playing in normal motion (1x).

I shooted the singer in front of a blue screen (4x4 meters) singing the song at 2x. Then I shooted (WITHOUT MOVING THE CAMERA) the drummer defocused at normal speed. Then in post I slow down the singer, so he is rallenty but singing in sync, keyed the blue (with Keylight in After Effects Professional) and put behind the drummer defocused...!!

Michele

Kelly Harmsworth May 31st, 2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

there are some blue screen shots, when the singer plays in slow motion (but the lips are in sync) behind him the drummer is playing in normal motion (1x).

I shooted the singer in front of a blue screen (4x4 meters) singing the song at 2x. Then I shooted (WITHOUT MOVING THE CAMERA) the drummer defocused at normal speed. Then in post I slow down the singer, so he is rallenty but singing in sync, keyed the blue (with Keylight in After Effects Professional) and put behind the drummer defocused...!!

Michele

Very cool! I just ordered an Xl2 and it should arrive today sometime. We will be shooting a Music Video for a local band and if I can get it to look half as good as yours does I'll be happy.

Scott Di Lalla May 31st, 2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Michele

Michele,

Great work!! Well composed and thought out. While I was watching the music vid my film partner came up and and thought he was seeing things when he noticed the singer in slow motion but the lips were still in sink. Very creative. By the way, who is the band and where was it shot?

The short film was also great. It had a Soderbergh like style. Do you want to make this into a feature?

Michele Lombardo May 31st, 2006 01:52 PM

Thanks Scott!!

You catched the target!!: Soderbergh is my master, and I think this independent/run and gun style is so creative.

Michele

Michele Lombardo May 31st, 2006 02:13 PM

The band is called: So Close (www.socloseband.com).
They are italian, and live and works in Varese, a city near Milan, in Italy.

The video was shooted in a wood industry near Varese and the girl on train is in Milan.

Michele

Guy Krenn May 31st, 2006 03:43 PM

Quote:

The band is called: So Close (www.socloseband.com).
They are italian, and live and works in Varese, a city near Milan, in Italy.

The video was shooted in a wood industry near Varese and the girl on train is in Milan.

Michele

Hi Michele,

I just watched your short film also. Excellent work!

Did you use a lens filter for this short film also? If so, which type did you use?

Although I couldn't understand what they were talking about, it seems as though you found some good actors! Congrats.

Regards...

Petri Flander May 31st, 2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Petri, I used only Canon 20x and 3x lens, I shooted all with the minimum dof opening the iris the most possible. In the dream scenes I use a Tiffen soft FX filter and I add a Tinderbox diffusion fillter. The burnt/overexposed parts were quite wanted. And I used Magic Bullet to color correct the entire job.

Thanks Michele,

I just looked the short one too. Dialogue is beyond me, so it could be interesting to know what was the catch...

And highlights were even more atomic :) is this look the kind of stuff that Soderberg has done recently? (on full frontal and others - just interested, i have not seen all of his work)

Whoever made a theme for this has a good taste. Solaris is also on my all-time top ten themes list :) (Somehow, together with those beautiful images it added a whole new universe around the main plot)

And finally - I guess any of us would be very happy to have these flicks on showreel. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Petri