DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   DIY XL2 camera case (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/68633-diy-xl2-camera-case.html)

Les Nagy June 1st, 2006 02:07 AM

DIY XL2 camera case

Please excuse this post as being a repeat to a reply to another thread, but I thought it might warrant having its own topic. If I have stepped outside of ettiquette hear, please accept my apologies.

This is a bag I made for my brand new XL2 after looking around for good bags. I didn't like the offerings around, or if I did like them, I didn't like the prices. I made my own. $14 for the duffle bag, $40 for the foam, and $9 for the adhesive spray to glue the foam together. It is durable and protects the camera very well so far. It holds the XL2 fully assembled, the charger, batteries, Century 0.6x, wireless mics and wired mics, remote, earphones, cables, tapes, and all kinds of extra bits with room to spare.

http://www.atsi.ca/images/xl2/xl2bag1.jpg
http://www.atsi.ca/images/xl2/xl2bag2.jpg
http://www.atsi.ca/images/xl2/xl2bag3.jpg
http://www.atsi.ca/images/xl2/xl2bag4.jpg
http://www.atsi.ca/images/xl2/xl2bag5.jpg

If you want details on making this, I would be glad to provide them.

Guy Krenn June 1st, 2006 02:27 AM

Good job!

As for me, I went with a knock off hard case from ebay (it's half the price of the official Canon hardcase for the XL-2) for the added comfort of knowing that it can take a few hard hits here and there.

Michael Cassidy June 1st, 2006 06:05 AM

Well Done, that's better than what you could buy. Those Manufacturers, seem to have no idea what we really need, and their prices! for any photographic gear, leaves you minus an arm and a leg.
Right, where did I put my tape measure! Great pics, by the way.

Mike Cassidy.

Paul Reichelt June 1st, 2006 08:30 AM

Where did you happen to pick the foam up at? Can't seem to locate much at any of the sorrounding hardware stores :|

Brian Carrell June 1st, 2006 09:47 AM

Looks great! I've been through a few bags, none seem to fit the form of how I have my XL2 configured, so been thinking of doing something similar. I'll probably start off with a bag I know will meet airline carry on specs and work from there, hopefully with a cheesy logo on it to throw off any would-be snatch 'n grabbers.

1. Also curious about the foam you used. I have some left over acoustic foam (auralex sonoflat panels) from a recording booth I may try to test to see how it withstands weight and impact.

2. Did you insert anything rigid along the bottom to prevent future sagging?

Greg Boston June 1st, 2006 10:08 AM

Great job, Les!

I can't advise on where to get the flat foam but there is a local 'outdoors' type store that carries the egg crate type foam in large sheets to be used as mattresses for camping. Look at a local store in your area that specializes or has a large selection of camping gear.

The adhesive spray can be had at auto parts stores. It is also used for replacing headliners in vehicles. Bass Pro Shops carries a roll on adhesive which would also work very weill. I used it for re-carpeting the fender rubs on my boat trailer which is what they recommend it for. The beauty of this stuff is that it's made to get wet and won't come off.

-gb-

Les Nagy June 1st, 2006 10:09 AM

The foam I purchased was from a local plastics and foam business. I believe it is called urethane foam and you should ask specifically for equipment padding or case foam. There is a much rougher type of foam used for packaging that you do not want to use.

The bag I used alread has a rigid bottom and has wheels on one end. The dimensions are approximately 14x14x27 interior. The one thing I will be doing is adding a rigid side panel on the camera side. I am sure that this bag will not meet carry on size, but I could be wrong.

Doug Boze June 1st, 2006 12:51 PM

Foam source, among other things

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: McMaster-Carr has the polyurethane foam (even pluck foam) you need as well as an infinite variety of other materials and stuff. I've always had outstanding service from them.

Edward T. Nista June 1st, 2006 01:02 PM

a bit of advice on improving your design, you might want to figure out a way of sewing or gluing the top part of the foam to the top flap that opens up. I went up to some huge camera shop in Palo Alto / Stanford area. Keeble & Shuchat Photography. The place is big. They've got two stores one on either side of the road. One for buying stuff and one for renting stuff. I think it's a very cool looking place, but i walked in and immediately got some salesman. He didn't know what an xl2 was, he assured me that it used a 77mm uv filter, ZOMG i wanted to punch this guy when i got back to my class and the stupid filter didn't work, i live in monterey so thats like an hour/hour and a half drive home with the wrong lens. Luckily my mom likes to go shopping at Nordstroms up there so she took it back, but i did get sold on some 300 dollar XL2 bag, the only bag in the store designed for the xl2, i can't believe some of you have hard cases, this cloth/foam combo bag is way heavy with all my gear inside & tripod in other hand heh, but i really needed a bag, i couldn't let this sucker sit around, its a 3000 dollar camera, well thats what i paid for mine brand new heh.

later guys awesome design btw bro. if only i was more patient and resourceful.

Mike Teutsch June 1st, 2006 01:55 PM

Les,

Good job indeed!

For those looking for form, suck up your manly pride and visit a sewing and cloth store, a Hobby Lobby, or crafts type store,(Michael's). I have bought there before.

Mike

Cal Johnson June 1st, 2006 02:24 PM

foam products..

That's a great bag you've created. One thing I'd advise to anyone taking on a project like this is keep a careful eye on your foam's condition. That foam looks identical to the foam that was in my keyboard case. Eventually the foam started to deteriorate and turned into a gooey mess that was very difficult to clean off. If your foam starts to get little pieces crumbling off it, that's the first stage and immediately toss the whole lot.
Nice bag though.

Les Nagy June 1st, 2006 03:59 PM

Yes, the foam could eventually rot. But at this price I am not worried about throwing it out and making a new one. I would not buy a commercial case for the prices they want when this is so easy and inexpensive.

Matt Egelhoff June 14th, 2006 09:24 AM

Les, since its hasnt been said yet <--*sarcasm* That is a great looking case! I am looking for a soft case for my xl2 and dont really want to spend a million dollars on a soft case since i allready have a hard case that protects the cam very well already. the only thing is that i have to take the evf/mic off every time i load it up and this is kind of a pain if im just going across town, or just want to cary the cam around at an event without it getting banged up...

A soft case that i could put the cam in, in one piece, and not worry about it getting bumped is really what i need and your design looks great! I feel pretty confident about my ability to follow directions and would like to have a bag much like the one you designed. I would greatly appreciate it if you would post some instructions about making this bag, or if you are making them and selling them let me know how much you want for one and we can go from there!

Colin Jones June 14th, 2006 09:49 AM

My alternative soft case

I went a different route to get a soft case.
I bought a BOYT MACH4 Cargo duffle for $260. I then filled the outer pocket with 2" thick foam from a craft store and added rwo layers of foamcore to the bottom for added rigidity. I also removed the internal tiedown straps. This bag is side loading and will fit the XL2 with EVF and mic attached. It is not fitted so the camera has a little bit of room to move around but not so much as to be a problem. This case works well for general short trip work. I wouldn't use it for trips where it had to be packed in with other cases on a plane for instance. But for going across town or for events it works well. The biggest drawback is that the pokets are taken up with the foam so it only really works for the camera plus acouple spare batteries and tapes.
It does have the advantage that it does not scream camera bag.

Here is a link to the bag at Portland luggage where I bought mine.
http://www.portlandluggage.com/adtem...y1=&subcatky2=

Colin

Les Nagy June 15th, 2006 12:12 AM

OK, I will post more details. I am not interested in making them for others but don't worry it is so easy to do. I am looking at a couple of iprovements like adding some stiff sides to prevent crushing. Other than that I am very happy with this as is.

More later.