Stairstepping Problem With My Xl2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 9th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stairstepping Problem With My Xl2

I was testing my XL2 this morning in my appartment. I was shooting a few objects on my fireplace. I had the camera hooked directly up to my 21" TV One of the objects I was videoing was a photo. As I was panning back and forth, I was noticing really bad "stairstepping" at the top of the photo. This was going live into my TV, and was also being layed to tape with the problemmas well. It looked pretty bad to me. It was on slow as well as faster pans. I just panned back and forth on the photo. I never really ever noticed a problem like that b4. It's not noticable in 60I, but when I try 30p & 24pn, it's all over the top. And if I focus on the bottom of the photo, it's also on the bottom part. When I throw the footage into FCP, I can't see it on my Apple Flat Screen Computer monitor, but when I go to burn it back to tape, it's definetly there as I see it though my small 13 inch TV I have a camera hooked up to to monitor output. Posted are some frame grabs jpegs. It's not as defined in the stills as it is in watching the footage on my TV, but I'm wondering if my XL2 is starting to have problems. I see it whether I have detail set to low or high in the camera. Anybody out there know what might cause this?
Attached Thumbnails
Stairstepping Problem With My Xl2-jagged-1.jpg   Stairstepping Problem With My Xl2-jagged-4.jpg  

Stairstepping Problem With My Xl2-jagged-6.jpg  

Last edited by Joseph Andolina; June 9th, 2006 at 09:13 PM.
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

well, after deciding to sit the picture up straighter, (as you see it's on a angle on the stills) I noticed that the problem was now not there. So being much relieved about that, it now leads me to a curious question of why if something like that is on an angle, that it could cause stairstepping, or jaggies? Is that just inherrant of 30p & 24p?

Other than that, I think I might get a good nights sleep tonight :)
Old June 10th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #3
Trustee

This happens most often in 30P but can also happen in 24P... set the vertical detail to LOW if you are running into this often...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks Ash. Although I think I remember trying that, but I'll re-try it to see. Appreciate the response.
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Trustee

Also remember the XL2 is very sharp, you can turn down the sharpness a but which will also help reduce noise...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders