XL2 price drop? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 24th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 price drop?

I find it odd that the price of the XL2 keeps dropping. At B&H it is down to $3599 with free shipping. Is Canon planning on discontinuing the XL2, or are they just trying to sell more since the introduction of the XLH1? I would like to buy one, but not if Canon releases a newer SD camera.

Thanks,
Luke
Luke Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #2
Trustee

The street was down to $3699 before the XLH came out. I do not expect another SD camera from Canon's pro line...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Major Player

maybe a GL3 SD/HDV?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
The street was down to $3699 before the XLH came out. I do not expect another SD camera from Canon's pro line...

ash =o)
In fact Ash, Canon stated at the XL2 introduction that it would be their last SD camera.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
In fact Ash, Canon stated at the XL2 introduction that it would be their last SD camera.

-gb-
NOOOOOO!!!!
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for all of the replies. I can't afford the XLH1 so I think I'll just stick with the XL2 (or maybe GL3?). I just didn't want to happen what happened to me when I bought my Canon 20D (one month later Canon 30D).

Thanks,
Luke
Luke Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #7
New Boot

It'll be a good news and a bad news to me, then. The bad news is XL2 is their last production of SD. I'm afraid that a HiDef won't come low in price close to XL2 if Canon is making another HiDef besides the XLH1. If they don't make one, that means it'll force us to go for XLH1. The good news is I've been waiting for an XL2 for a couple of years now and it might be a good time to upgrade my GL2. I'm just hoping a brand new XL2 hit $3200 soon. Shall I press my luck!
Sang Siharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #8
Major Player

maybe a $500 rebate? They have been running a $250 rebate on the GL2 for a year or something. That ends in a few days. I wonder what will happen to the GL2 after June 30th?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:20 AM   #9
Major Player

Yeah, I remember that, Canon stating that the XL2 was the last of their pro SD offerings. I don't think its really bad news though. I own an XL2, and think its a great camera. Putting aside the HD/SD debate, I really feel the XL2 allows you to get into "electronic cinematography" with all the custom settings. There are so many young/new filmakers just diving in with this camera and producing impressive results. I say don't worry about getting the perfect deal, and just buy the XL2. You can spend the next few years polishing your cinematography skills and then upgrade to HD when you need to. By that time, Canon will have probably introduced a more affordable HD option.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang Siharath
The good news is I've been waiting for an XL2 for a couple of years now and it might be a good time to upgrade my GL2. I'm just hoping a brand new XL2 hit $3200 soon. Shall I press my luck!

Call it a shameless plug if you will, but I still have one of my XL2 cameras left for sale here in the classifieds. Why wait to buy brand new when there's lots of perfectly good used gear for sale here. Everything I have bought from others here on DVINFO has been in excellent shape because all of us tend to take good care of our stuff. Mine is no exception. We have a good reputation here in our classifieds and we take whatever steps necesary to keep it that way.

-gb-
Old June 30th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Classifieds?

Where are they? I cant see them.

Thanks,

David
David Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Calvin
Where are they? I cant see them.

Thanks,

David
David,

The last sentence in my previous post is the reason you can't see them. We took the painful action a few months back of limiting classified participation to those who have been around for a bit. We strove not to deeply penalize new people such as yourself but we had started gaining the attention of scammers in our classifieds section and one timers who would register for the sole purpose of listing their gear for sale, legitimate or otherwise, only to be never heard from again. This was done after a lot of discussion with the moderators by Chris and this is what we ultimately came up with.

Once you have been here for a short time, you will gain access. This helps the forum's trust level when they make deals with 'one of their own'. We felt that you would be unlikely to be scammed by someone who has been a part of this community and likes to participate. People like that aren't going to jeopordize their relationship with the forum by scamming someone.

I hope you'll understand and don't worry, it won't take too long. It's an incentive for you to become an active member of our great community.

regards,

-gb-
Old June 30th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Oh

No worries.. I just felt stupid because I couldn't locate them! I was beginning to doubt my computer skills. :-).

No worries.

David
David Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Call it a shameless plug if you will, but I still have one of my XL2 cameras left for sale here in the classifieds. Why wait to buy brand new when there's lots of perfectly good used gear for sale here. Everything I have bought from others here on DVINFO has been in excellent shape because all of us tend to take good care of our stuff. Mine is no exception. We have a good reputation here in our classifieds and we take whatever steps necesary to keep it that way.

-gb-
Greg,
I wished I could do it soon. I just don't make enough money out of my video business and I couldn't justify buying the XL2 yet. The most money comes from my other photography thing that's why I spent a lot money into it. I will consider your other XL2 next few weeks if it's still available. By the way, how old is that baby?
Sang Siharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:

Once you have been here for a short time, you will gain access. This helps the forum's trust level when they make deals with 'one of their own'. We felt that you would be unlikely to be scammed by someone who has been a part of this community and likes to participate. People like that aren't going to jeopordize their relationship with the forum by scamming someone.

I hope you'll understand and don't worry, it won't take too long. It's an incentive for you to become an active member of our great community.

regards,

-gb-
What is a "short" time? I have been a member for almost 2 months and still can't access the classifieds.
Tucker Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders