DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Still Photo? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/70262-xl2-still-photo.html)

Tariq Mahmood June 26th, 2006 09:24 AM

XL2 Still Photo?

Hi all, this is my first post
I just upgraded to XL2 having used XL1s for 3 years.
I noticed that the still photo record button is missing so I assume that the function has been dropped.
I used to like doing stills with the XL1s which I could used in post, is there any way of doing stills with the XL2?

Jarrod Whaley June 26th, 2006 09:30 AM

The only way that I'm aware of is to extract single frames from video shot in one of the progressive modes.

Tariq Mahmood June 26th, 2006 09:51 AM

Thanks for ur quick repsonse.
I know I can get still out in post but its more work.
Now I have to do video of those stills rather than a quick snap.
I am disappointed.
I was hoping there was another way such as pressing pause on the VCR section.

Jarrod Whaley June 26th, 2006 09:55 AM

I'm not sure I follow you... Are you talking about pausing the video and then capturing the pause? That may or may not work, depending on your NLE. I'm pretty sure that normally, time code has to running in order to capture. It might be worth a shot, who knows.

Really though, and I say this not to be snide but hopefully to be helpful, you're much better off using a still camera. I never understood why people would want to take low-res stills with a $3500 camcorder anyway, but maybe that's just me. If you are wanting to do freeze-frames of video in post, it's really not that much more work to grab a frame in your NLE, and you'll have more control over which frame to freeze on in this case anyway.

Daniel Baker June 26th, 2006 11:36 AM

Yeah, there's no way to take stills on this camera...but I agree with Jarrod, my camera phone takes higher rez pictures than this camera would...

Michael Cassidy June 26th, 2006 12:38 PM

When I had an XL1S, the "still photo" button, was more of a nuisance, than anything else! And the quality was too poor, to bother using the "still" anyway!
Far better, "grabbing", a still in post,it's much more worthwhile.

Mike.

Tariq Mahmood June 27th, 2006 02:39 AM

Yes I agree digital cameras give a lot higher res
However I've just got used to doing wedding films with some stills to video which I then put in the main film. That way the stills were done at the point where I wanted them to appear in the film. Its just a bit more work carrying another digital camera to get the stills I want & then placing them in the timeline in post.
Anyway I am using the camera for a wedding this weekend.
Does anyone have suggestions for the best setting to get a vivid sharp picture?
... maybe better than my previous xl1s?

Jarrod Whaley June 27th, 2006 06:32 AM

Again, just grab a frame from progressive video. It's pretty easy to do. And for the record, it will look quite a bit better than stills from the XL1, thanks to the progressive chips and higher resolution.

Darrin McMillan June 27th, 2006 08:31 AM

Listen to Jarrod

You are right. Capturing a still from video is extremely easy and will give you a very good quality result. No need to carry extra equipment. Not worth it.