Setup Level in XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Setup Level in XL2

Hi,

So I watched the Xl2 video that was pointed to by folks on this forum. Thanks. So I am getting more questions. :-).

On the setup level.. I read an article (link posted here somewhere) that talked about setup level. It said that there is a safe range for broadcast: between 7.5 and 10. It also talked about the fact that the setup level is generally handled by higher end decks and cameras. It cautioned that modifying the setup level on certain cameras changed the digital data that was being recorded, and it shouldn't.

Does the XL2's Setup Level adjustment do this correctly? By correctly, I think I mean, that it does not alter the data being recorded to tape? And, if it does modify the digital info, how does one move a recording that they have made with altered setup levels into a broadcast situation where setup is being applied in post?

Thanks.. and apologies if I am asking this question incorrectly.
David Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #2
RED Problem Solver

Good question! Here's the answer: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._nattress.html

Basically, test the camera with the switch in both positions - if the video levels change in your NLE, your camera is doing it wrong.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Black

Thanks for the article. I am reading it now and trying to digest it all. Its rather complex, it seems.

Does anyone know, for sure, if the XL2 writes black at the correct level? Which, I think, is 0 IRE. Sans setup, right?

And, in either case, how does adjusting the setup level on the camera affect what is written to tape? If I raise setup level on the camera is that relative to the 7.5 IRE that would also be added by the deck?

I guess the real question is.. how to use the setting on the camera while remaining in broadcast safe ranges.

Also.. er.. what's a proc amp?

Thanks!

David
David Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #4
Trustee

My XL2 has been on just about every major network with the in camera setup level all over the place.... I would not worry

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders