DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Mysterious connection point on my XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/70832-mysterious-connection-point-my-xl2.html)

Bill Hamell July 4th, 2006 01:00 PM

Mysterious connection point on my XL2

Below the button battery compartment there is a recessed receptacle.
I have looked through the manual and could find no reference to it.

Could someone tell me what it is, and what it does, please?

Thank you,
Bill

Jeff Lanctot July 4th, 2006 01:58 PM

That would be a Hex screw in there. :-) Doesn't do anything- except help keep our cameras from falling apart...

Regards,

~J

Bill Hamell July 4th, 2006 02:16 PM

Jeff,

That's a good thing then. :-)

That leads me to my next question, why then the triangle with the lightning bolt symbol?

Thank you,
Bill

Jeff Lanctot July 4th, 2006 02:19 PM

afaik, that would be the 'universal' symbol for 'don't open this up... you could get shocked.'

Regards,

~J

Bill Hamell July 4th, 2006 02:46 PM

Ok, that is two things I learned today.

It is just a bolt, and if you remove it all the electricity leaks out!! :-)

Thanks again,
Bill

Doug Boze July 5th, 2006 12:24 PM

Oh, no, no, no! Here's a secret I learned from an electronics technician: Electricity is bunk. Everything is powered by smoke! Yes, the same smoke typically associated with mirrors. Need proof? When an electronic or electrical device fails, smoke comes out. Does it still work? Nope.

;-)

Jonathan Jones July 5th, 2006 07:22 PM

Well, now the secret is out....you guessed it and the industry is going to be blown wide open. Smoke is an amazing, low cost, high volume, energy source that was patented a long time ago by an associate of my great, great, grandfather's second cousin. It stands for Systematic Manipulator Of Kinetic Energies, or SMOKE for short, and has a half-life of 'always'. In essense, SMOKE is the life-force, or the essense of all electrical devices - and in most cases, the accidental 'release' of the SMOKE through punctures, cracks, or other forms of damage to the device, is often found to be concurrent with the abrupt demise of the device iteself. By contrast, the retention of the SMOKE within the device is thought to be relative to continued, and in some cases, IMPROVED functionality. The best known case of this is the 'smokeless ashtray' popular in the 1970's.

The phenomenon of the smokeless ashtray is based on simple logic. As the device continued to trap more smoke into itself, it functioned with greater and greater efficiency, until eventually it trapped so much SMOKE, it simply evolved. That is why you rarely see smokeless ashtrays in this day and age. Most of them evolved into alternate forms of SMOKE based devices, such as early stepping stones like the Knight Rider 'KIT' car, the flux capacitor, and the 3Ghz PowerPC processor...all of which have been known after a fashion for their unique uses of SMOKE technology.

Hope this helps.
-Jon

Jimmy McKenzie July 5th, 2006 08:01 PM

Gaaaahhhh ... Jon!

When you keyboard the above kind of departure, try to keep it to a few short sentances. Otherwise people might start to develop sterotypes about "video" guys and lump us in with those cellar dwelling types in the basements of abodes with moms living upstairs and having an unhealthy obsession with star trek.

Chris Hurd July 5th, 2006 08:16 PM

A Star Trek obsession is unhealthy?

Sorry, my mom's calling me to come upstairs...

Shervin Mandgaryan July 5th, 2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy McKenzie
Gaaaahhhh ... Jon!

When you keyboard the above kind of departure, try to keep it to a few short sentances. Otherwise people might start to develop sterotypes about "video" guys and lump us in with those cellar dwelling types in the basements of abodes with moms living upstairs and having an unhealthy obsession with star trek.

Nooooooooo!!! My brains are SMOOOOKKKING!!!

Bill Hamell July 5th, 2006 08:23 PM

What did I start? :-)

Tony Davies-Patrick July 6th, 2006 03:16 AM

Beam me up, Scotty...

Jimmy McKenzie July 6th, 2006 12:06 PM

Oh we're very clever aliens up here in igloo land ... not only did we attract the attention of the chief moderator we got him to particpate in a string horribly driven off topic when he should have been admonishing such bad behavior. Ha!

So I will bring this topic back in keeping with the founding principles of this fine board. Admire the fine screw for it is functioning perfectly. Now get back to work all of you.

Jimmy.