DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Using Canon XL2 (16X9) with Sony HD 1080i footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/71656-using-canon-xl2-16x9-sony-hd-1080i-footage.html)

David E. Carter July 17th, 2006 12:58 PM

Using Canon XL2 (16X9) with Sony HD 1080i footage

I have a project that has some footage shot with a Sony HD 1080i, as well as footage from a Canon XL2 that was shot it 16X9 format. I'm editing in Final Cut Pro, and the Canon footage shows up much smaller - and with a black box all around it - in the Canvas window.

I know that the Canon XL2 doesn't have an actual HD 1080i output, even though it does allow shooting in 16x9 format, but I understand that I can mix footage from both cameras. Any suggestions on how to solve this?

DC

Greg Boston July 17th, 2006 01:20 PM

You can buy a plug-in called Re-Sizer that will upconvert the XL2 footage to 1080i to match your Sony footage. Keep in mind, the footag won't gain resolution, but it won't look ugly when scaled up to that resolution.

-gb-

Brian K Jones July 17th, 2006 03:52 PM

I have seen excellent uprezzing results with a plug-in called Instant HD from Red Giant. Results from the XL2 that I have seen have been really impressive.
The footage has to be progressive, and it is only available for certain NLE's. It might be woth you looking into...

Bill Edmunds July 19th, 2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian K Jones
I have seen excellent uprezzing results with a plug-in called Instant HD from Red Giant. Results from the XL2 that I have seen have been really impressive.

How did it compare to "native" hdv footage?

Ash Greyson July 20th, 2006 07:56 AM

InstantHD looks very good. The FCP resizing engine is pretty good as well, some say as good as IHD, I personally think IHD is better.

ash =o)

Zack Vohaska July 20th, 2006 08:13 AM

I ended up getting the program, also, because I was very impressed with my results. Like mentioned earlier, the program will only work if your footage is progressive.

Some people have claimed than upconverting the footage to 720p, color correcting it, then downconverting back to 480p has produced a superior looking image. However, I haven't seen any evidence of this claim myself...I'd be very interested in seeing tests or doing some eventually.

Red Giant's InstantHD getes an A+ in my book.

Ash Greyson July 20th, 2006 10:38 AM

Up and then back down does nothing unless you are working uncompressed. Then it only really improves chroma noise, etc. not resolution.

ash =o)

David E. Carter July 25th, 2006 05:30 AM

Instant HD from Red Giant Works Great.

Brian: Thanks for recommending Instant HD from Red Giant.

I got it, and the results are great. My project files had to be de-interlaced before they could be manipulated in Instand HD. The Tech guy at Red Giant went above and beyond the call to walk me through the steps to get the results i needed.

Brian K Jones July 25th, 2006 09:52 AM

I'm glad it worked out for you, David. To be quite honest, I would rather go this route right now (Instant HD) instead of investing heavily in HDV, I'm waiting to see what else comes forward in the next couple years...

Brian K Jones July 25th, 2006 09:58 AM

To answer Bill's question, I had a couple buddies look at some 720p footage that originated on my XL2, and the same footage from a friends Z1U. I know the hardcore HDV fans will downplay this, but they both thought the XL2 footage had a more organic high res look than the Z1U footage. It is all going to depend on where your footage is going to end up...I also do weddings and such, and a few of my clients have really enjoyed the uprezzed look of my XL2 footage.

Josh Dahlberg July 25th, 2006 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Up and then back down does nothing unless you are working uncompressed. Then it only really improves chroma noise, etc. not resolution.

ash =o)

Hmm... but it might be a good idea to switch to a 4:2:2 codec like DVCpro HD for colour correction and effects rendering right?

The examples on Red Giant's site look too good to be true. Is that an accurate presentation of the software's effect? If so, I've got to get this plug.

The software is FCP compatible - does anyone know if it will work on the new intel macs?

Ash Greyson July 26th, 2006 09:32 PM

The best workflow for any effects/CC is rebuilding your project uncompressed, the applying the CC/effects... it will hold together much better for broadcast.

ash =o)