DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Optical Stabilzer Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/72364-optical-stabilzer-question.html)

Lou Bruno July 26th, 2006 07:10 PM

Optical Stabilzer Question

Just got my new XL-2 yesterday. I noticed that there is a slight stuttering of the picture every so often that only occurs when the stabilizer is engaged.

I observe the stuttering in the EVF.......it is more pronounced on my LCD Editing Monitor than on my JVC Hi-Resolution (not HD) record studio monitor.

Is this related to the Optical Stabilizer when fully zoomed-in to a subject and there is movement by then camera operator?

Thanks in advance,
LOU

Chris Hurd July 26th, 2006 08:51 PM

Hi Lou,

Is the camera mounted on a tripod when this is happening? If so, then the explanation is that the OIS is fighting the intentional movement of the pan (or zoom). In this case you want to turn off OIS.

Zack Vohaska July 26th, 2006 09:24 PM

Lou,
I'm pretty sure Chris hit the nail on the head there -- turn the OIS off when tilting or panning. Your situation is exactly what happened in a shoot I had done earlier today. Unfortunately, one instance of some B roll footage I took is useless because I had my XL2 zoomed in quite a ways, and when panning the camera, I noticed lots of stuttering in the footage once I captured it. It then occurred to me that I got lost in the moment I was shooting and forgot to turn of the image stabilizer.

Turning it off should correct your issue.

Lou Bruno July 26th, 2006 09:30 PM

I am handheld. ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Hi Lou,

Is the camera mounted on a tripod when this is happening? If so, then the explanation is that the OIS is fighting the intentional movement of the pan (or zoom). In this case you want to turn off OIS.

Lou Bruno July 26th, 2006 09:31 PM

Exactly what I observed.......going handheld.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Vohaska
Lou,
I'm pretty sure Chris hit the nail on the head there -- turn the OIS off when tilting or panning. Your situation is exactly what happened in a shoot I had done earlier today. Unfortunately, one instance of some B roll footage I took is useless because I had my XL2 zoomed in quite a ways, and when panning the camera, I noticed lots of stuttering in the footage once I captured it. It then occurred to me that I got lost in the moment I was shooting and forgot to turn of the image stabilizer.

Turning it off should correct your issue.

Adam Bray July 27th, 2006 12:12 AM

what frame rate are you using?

Lou Bruno July 27th, 2006 06:37 AM

60i.................

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Bray
what frame rate are you using?

Chris Hurd July 27th, 2006 08:15 AM

Lou, I've known you online for a very long time... going back to usenet days... so in your case I think the problem might be that all of your experience in handholding cameras has perhaps caused you to become too good for the OIS. Your technique might be so steady that you're unintentionally fooling the OIS into working against you. Try switching it off and see if the situation improves.

Lou Bruno July 28th, 2006 07:13 AM

Thanks.................I did just that. It seemed that my shot was very steady.
Any slight flinching caused the "scene" to catch-up with the slight movement.
SO.................for long extended shots, the OS is OFF.

Thanks again!! LOU