Urgent help needed for audio of xl2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 26th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #1
New Boot

Urgent help needed for audio of xl2

Hi,

I am shooting a short film with XL2. Today we tried unsuccessfully to use two booms with the two XLR inputs. First input works but the other one doesn't pick up anything (we were listening using a headphone). The booms are ok, since they both work when connected to the first xlr input. We read the manual and did what it told us to but nothing worked. No sound came out of the second boom. We spent half a day on it and ultimately for today we just used one boom. This is my first shoot.

Can someone help me tomorrow. We have just three more days of shooting and I don't want to waste too much time on trying to figure out the issue.

It will be great if anyone can volunteer a few minutes on the phone tomorrow morning so that I can call him/her and get some help. My email id is lalchak@yahoo.com Please let me know if you can help me.

Thanks.

Lal.
Lal Chakraborty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Lal,
It sounds to me like you have a switch on your audio control panel set to CH1>CH2 (or something like that).....this switch, although it is not very clear what it does for some users automatically takes the signal coming in on the ch1 input and dupes it onto the ch2 field so that if you have a single input that you want to have automatically mono'd to both sides of your stereo field, it can be accomplished at the audio input stage.

Of course, this feature automatically disables any input coming in from the ch2 input port. Disabling this switch will return your audio settings to having your input ch 1 coming in on your stereo left field, and your ch2 input coming in on your stereo right field.

In post, you will then find that each of your boom mics will both be in the opposite extremes of your stereo field, but they can be mono'd in post.

Hope this helps.
-Jon
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, sounds very similar, see my post here for the cure:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....71&postcount=2

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks a lot

I hooked up the shotguns again today morning. Moved the switch to Ch1 , played around with some other switches and everything worked.

Thanks a lot Chris and Jonathan. I really appreciate this.

Lal.
Lal Chakraborty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders