DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Question on lack of sound output (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/72429-question-lack-sound-output.html)

Eric Brown July 27th, 2006 02:16 PM

Question on lack of sound output

My XL2 has a problem that has existed since I took ownership of it over a year ago.
It hasn't been a huge issue so I never really bothered asking but out of curiosity I'd like to pick brains here.
When I shoot footage the onboard mic or whatever mike is hooked to it through any audio input will record sound as expected.
When I go to play it back through the camera itself hooked up to a monitor, TV, etc through the S-Video cable it displays video but will not playback sound.
I know the sound is there as it will playback when the footage is either dumped onto my harddrive through Firewire and then played back or as it is being imported into my NLE. (either FCE, FCP or iMovie).
So, the problem isn't that it isn't recording sound, because it is. It's that I can't get playback for sound over the S-Video cable or RGB cables.
The little black switch on the audio input/output panel is set appropriately.
Any ideas, anyone?

Eb Samba July 27th, 2006 03:55 PM

Eric

Make sure your RED & WHITE RCA cables are connected to propper audio port. Please note that the Audio1 input/output is located at the bottom of the connections compactment of the XL2. I had made this mistake before.

If this doesn't solve the problem, check your AUDIO SETUP function located on the VCR MENUE. Simply put your XL2 to VCR Mode. Go to Menue - Audio Setup - SEL Audio CH and then select the correct audio option that was used when you were shooting.

Hope this helps
Eb

Greg Boston July 27th, 2006 04:09 PM

Eric,

There is no sound on S-Video cables. I got bit like Ed did in hooking the RCA cables to the wrong set ouf outputs at first. Audio 1 pair are on bottom as Ed said.

There is one other button you might want to push. It affects the analog audio you hear coming out of the camera. Look to the left of the mode dial at the audio monitor button. Push that to toggle from 1/2, 3/4, or all 4 mixed. If you have it set for 3/4 you won't get audio out but as you have observed, it will still go out the firewire port.

Also, the little black switch on the side panel only selects between the RCA and BNC composite output jacks and does nothing else.

I think you are going to find that the audio monitor is in the wrong setting and if I recall, it will remember that setting via the backup battery. The LCD window on the mode dial will show you which channels are selected.

Good luck,

-gb-

Nick Vaughan July 29th, 2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Eric,

There is no sound on S-Video cables. I got bit like Ed did in hooking the RCA cables to the wrong set ouf outputs at first. Audio 1 pair are on bottom as Ed said.

There is one other button you might want to push. It affects the analog audio you hear coming out of the camera. Look to the left of the mode dial at the audio monitor button. Push that to toggle from 1/2, 3/4, or all 4 mixed. If you have it set for 3/4 you won't get audio out but as you have observed, it will still go out the firewire port.

Also, the little black switch on the side panel only selects between the RCA and BNC composite output jacks and does nothing else.

I think you are going to find that the audio monitor is in the wrong setting and if I recall, it will remember that setting via the backup battery. The LCD window on the mode dial will show you which channels are selected.

Good luck,

-gb-

Greg! Teach me how to use my camera, neighboor!

Eric Brown August 10th, 2006 01:58 PM

Sorry for the late thank you guys, but thanks!