Minimum Equipment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 27th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Minimum Equipment

I’m shopping around for my XL-2 and of course have come across the Brooklyn scam sites with the low-low package price. I’m trying to price the minimum accessories needed along with the camera at B+H and EVS.

For the independent film maker what would be the minimum must have items? An example would be a tripod, also keep in mind anything XL-2 specific.
John Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Don't overlook Tapeworks Texas as a supplier. They are the most outstanding people I have ever dealt with.
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The XL2 alone should yield great results - I spent four hours shooting today in a remote area with limited accessories and the footage turned out great. I had used the standard mic that comes with the camera, a Davis & Sanford Tripod w/ a fluid head (supporting up to approximately 30lbs), a B&W circular polarizer, a 5-in-1 reflector, a warm card for white balancing, and a couple of backup batteries and DVC tapes, and I was set. I only used the tripod for a total of 2 shots; the camera's optical image stabilizer worked great! Most of my shots were handheld, but without a good eye for it, it's very hard to tell that they were in fact freehand.

In all honesty, all you need is the standard XL2 package with basic accessories, MiniDV tapes, and of course, a few spare batteries will serve you well. The camera along with the stock lens work great! A tripod with a fluid head will always be useful, even if there are days like mine where I hardly used it. You won't regret it. If you're shooting indoors, a lighting kit will be necessary, and if you're outdoors, a reflector kit, polarizer, and possibly a video light can come in handy.

The sky is the limit. Buy what you need as you need it; the XL2 alone is sufficient.
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Long life batteries are essential as well as...

a set of filters. The wide angle lens is not essential but we use ours constantly. In addition, we have a good shoulder brace for handheld work that's made the job a lot easier.

Film Tools in Burbank has Sony Premium mini-dv tapes for 2.50 a piece approximately. If you buy more than 100, you get another price break.

I bought a light kit recently from Adorama in New York. Their prices are lower than B&H and they were quite good to deal with. If you're in the market for a light kit as well, check out the various Lowel DV creator kits.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #5
Major Player

I think this would be a good thing to have:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=241312&is=REG
It is a glidecam 400 pro with body pod and monitor kit.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders